Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Facility in advance of RAP?

Mangoman

The Regimental Aid Post was generally situated just behind the front line. However I have found details of an RAMC officer being killed while making medical preparations for a forthcoming battle in advance of the front line. I have never come across this before and wonder how common this practice was during WW1? If so, how would this advanced 'station' be described in mlitary terms?

According to a new book, the Australians developed this advanced aid technique moving up close behind the infantry in attack and it came into its own in 1918.

Thanks for the info David but what adds to the confusion is that my man was an RAMC officer who was killed in his advance post in July 1917.

The preparations could be to man an advanced or Forward RAP at a location previously decided upon once the infantry had a foothold in enemy territory.

He may have been killed making the preparations but it seems unlikely he was killed 'in advance of the front line' unless he decided to recce enemy territory.

Depends on the location I suppose, could he have tried to set up in no man's land?

TEW

From what I gather he was killed on 17th July prior to the start of the fghting for Pilckem Ridge, so up to that point the Infantry hadn't established a foothold in enemy territory and were still in the process of preparing for the battle. I can only assume that the RAMC officer was setting up this 'advance station' under his own initiative but is something that I have never come across before. 

Edited by Mangoman

Do not get confused with the use of the term advanced post. There are references in medical officers personal diaries that they toured the trenches and advanced posts. This refers to them visiting the battalion advanced posts not medical. I doubt he would have set up any facility in advance of his RAP pre attack.

This is what I have established so far - ".....was severley wounded while in the trenches near Ypres on 17th July 1917 whilst making medical preparations for the forthcoming battle and forward of the Advanced Dressing Station." So is the likelihood of his position being between the front line and the Regimental Aid Post towards the rear, ot actually ahead of the front line?

Edited by Mangoman

Many thanks for the link helpjpl and from what I can establish my man was probably in the dug-out for the four stretcher bearers that was in the front line but in advance of the Advanced Dressing Station.  

Have you looked at the relevant war diary which often gives locations for the various medical points?

Max

No, not as yet. Will do so later on.

3 hours ago, MaxD said:

Have you looked at the relevant war diary which often gives locations for the various medical points?

Max

I have checked the War Diary and "...forward of the Advanced Dressing Station.." meant visiting the Collecting Posts and the new combined Aid Posts at Wieltje and Pagoda Street on the Ypres Salient..". Problem solved. Thanks for your help.