Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying these badges or button

Dorothy Crawford

On 14/07/2019 at 19:02, FROGSMILE said:

The little acorns are Bishop’s mitres. If you look up ‘Bath Star’ you will see.  It relates to the motto.

If they are "Bath stars", the three small emblems ought to be crowns, not mitres, and they represent the three kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland.

Nemo me impune lacessit is Latin for "No-one provokes me with impunity". It is the motto of the Order of the Thistle, and it also appears in the Scottish version of the Royal Arms.

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

If they are "Bath stars", the three small emblems ought to be crowns, not mitres, and they represent the three kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland.

Nemo me impune lacessit is Latin for "No-one provokes me with impunity". It is the motto of the Order of the Thistle, and it also appears in the Scottish version of the Royal Arms.

Ron

Yes, you’re quite right Ron, mea culpa.  I know that they related to the motto that I mentioned: ‘Tria Juncta In Uno’, which means ‘three joined in one, referring to the three Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland.  There is something I’ve seen with three mitres, but I cannot remember what it is.  I’ve definitely seen some object of insignia with what looks like three mitres, perhaps someone else will know.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you Pat Dad was in the  RASC during the last war and was evacuated from Dunkirk after 5 days on the beach.  

On 15/07/2019 at 08:58, Dorothy Crawford said:

grandad Crawford.jpg

Grandad in KRR uniform.jpg

1085306581_grandadCrawford.jpg (3).jpg

1085306581_grandadCrawforddd.jpg

1575005038_GrandadinKRRuniform.jpg.jpg

Jools that's incredible - thank you

That spindley thing he's standing beside apparently is a Caproni Ca42   the RNAS had 6,  from April 1918.  attached to number 227 Sqn, (According to Wikipaedia) Again,  according to Wikii,  they didn't have them long.  Could be dating evidence.  

Thank you Gunner Hall I knew this as there is another thread on my Grandfather and someone very kindly identified it. There is also a picture of Grandad's crash killing the pilot Eric Audobon Palfreyman from Tasmania. 

Dorothy,

Have I missed something ? i couldn't see this on the other threads :

Your GF William Crawford was originally Scots Guards 9473, ( and Black Watch before that!) and can be found in their attestation register (FindmyPast here) before being commissioned to KRRC. His Scots Guards Service Record is here on FindmyPast.

So the badge in your first post fits !

Charlie

Your GF became a PoW and the ICRC have this

Edited by charlie962

Charlie this is amazing thank you so much Dorothy

and here's the Link to his BlackWatch attestation 1911 on Findmypast.

Charlie

edit:

That excellent site Airhistory.org gives the following sources, much of which you may already have seen via the Palfreyman thread ?

Crawford,2Lt,WI,W I,,1st Scots Guards 9473 Pte. King's Royal Rifle Corps Attached RFC 2Lt,,,,Medals,WO 372/5/80755,10054,,,,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,W I,,RFC,,23.05.18,PoW. repat:04.01.19,PoW,,1009,,,180523,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,William Irvine,01.12.1893,King's Royal Rifle Corps,27Sq,27.03.18,posted,movement,CF04450,5870,,King's Royal Rifle Corps,180327,CRAWFORD
Crawford,,WI,William Irwin,,,,,,Mil Record,AIR 76/112/57,19508,,,,CRAWFORD
Crawford,,WI,,,,,,,Gazette,18. 6592,49930,,,,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,,,,27Sq,22.04.18,Ok [B2110 DH4] Hit by AA and returned to aerodrome on attempted bombing. 2Lt CH Gannaway Ok/2Lt WI Crawford Ok,CasRep,AIR 1/854,11164,,,180422,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,,,,27Sq,23.05.18,missing [A7840 DH4] Last seen going down nr Thourout after bombing Maria Aalter. Capt AE Palfreyman missing/2Lt WI Crawford missing,CasRep,AIR 1/855,12245,,,180523,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,,,,27Sq,23.05.18,wounded PoW [A7840 DH4] Last seen diving steeply W of Maria Aalter during bombing. ACapt AE Palfreyman+/2Lt WI Crawford wounded PoW,CasBook,AIR 1/969 p309,5494,,,180523,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WI,,,King's Royal Rifle Corps,27Sq France,23.05.18,PoW [A7840 DH4] Last seen diving steeply W of Maria Aalter (Obs) -repatriated 04.01.19. Capt AE Palfreyman,CasCard,268589,5113,,,180523,CRAWFORD
Crawford,2Lt,WJ,,,,27Sq,23.05.18,PoW [A7840 DH4] .2Lt WJ Crawford PoW/Capt AE Palfreyman+,misc,AIR 1/1790,812,,,180523,CRAWFORD

You see he had an earlier episode when hit by AA on 22/4/18.

Edited by charlie962

A few more bits and pieces for you.

1.  Undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). 26 Sept. 1917:-

K. R. Rif.C.

William Irvine Crawford

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30335/supplement/10590/data.pdf

2.  airhistory: 

airhistory.jpg.857d0781430d44b41b60e3cd7a515476.jpg

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/files/names_combined_C.txt

3.  RFC edit RAF Casualty Card:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/crawford-w.i.-william-ivrine

4.  RFC edit RAF Casualty Form:

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/4450

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Brilliant detective work Chaps!  Jay and Dorothy were correct with their belief that the insignia and thus connection was Scots Guards from the outset.  Presumably the badge was his own before commissioning.

WOW I can't thank you all enough my 2 male cousins are thrilled to have this stuff. William his Grandson is having a lot of stuff framed. We must never forget them. They were the likes we will never see again. Taking to the air in such flimsy machines. The poem High flight always makes me think of them. Thank you so much helpjpl and all the others.

And here we have it proof he was in the Scots Guards as supplied by Charlie692 and Helpjpl . Thank you attaching a photo of him with me aged about 3 he never worked again after the war and shook quite badly but indeed was lucky to have survived the crash. Also photos of Eric Audobon Palfreyman from Tasmania who was the pilot killed 

Grandad and I.jpg

Eric Audobon Palfreyman.jpg

Some great research all round on this thread, and wonderful to see those gaps in your grandfather's history filled. His regimental number suggests an August 1914 enlistment in the Scots Guards; they seem to have rushed men through training and out to the front somewhat, presumably in response to heavy losses - a relative followed a very similar path at this time.

Cheers, Pat.

Thank you Pat. Were the Atkins brothers listed your relatives? I am very active on my Family tree and on my Mother's side she lost an Uncle on the Somme who is listed on the Thiepval memorial along with 75,000 others with no known grave and a second cousin who is listed on the Pozieres memorial also no known grave. I had the great honour to go to the Somme last year with my local British Legion - Nick Ward runs bespoke tours and what he doesn't know about the First world war is not worth knowing. We visited most of the major battle sites it was very humbling. Attaching a photo of Delville woods which was flattened and only one tree survived. We were very privileged to see a re burial of a young man whose body was found 104 years later whilst they were excavating for a new hosptital. Full military funeral it was indeed an honour to be there. The CWGC do an amazing job. I hope you enjoy the photos. Dorothy

Delville Wood copy3.jpg

img001.jpg

The headstone.JPG

Thank you Charlie962 he was a big man  which is why I think he survived the crash