Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Anthony Hegarty (10148)Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

gonebacknorth

Anthony joined the 1st Batt Inniskillings in 1911.He was  wounded in Gallipoli May 1915 and went to a hospital in Alexandria.He, then still in the 1st Batt. inniskilling is listed

as wounded in France Aug 1916.The next mention i have of him is Sept 1918 on a medical report being treated for neurasthenia and now serving with the Royal Irish Regiment 8th  Service Batt.(His service no is now 12158).He was discharged  Mar/April 1919 on medical grounds.When Anthony gets wounded i lose track of him and how he ends up in the R.I.R 8TH Batt would be of interest.I would appreciate any comments or observations  

MIC indicates that it is

mic.jpg.b6f921fdea1bc22755582d4e0020f361.jpg

His pension card on Fold 3 - click for it - shows him living at Old Station Square, Rugby ( a previous address was Pennington St, Rugby), That he was discharged RIR on 18 Mar 1919. And notes GSW to hand and Shell Shock. b1892

Another Pension card adds an Howard St, Londonderry as an address

And I assume this is his Ancestry Tree - click

Which shows him born Londonderry 1892 and died Rugby 1944

Edited by corisande

There are two MiCs for him.

The first, above, shows him having first entered the Gallipoli Theatre of War on the 15th March 1915, which I assume is the date of their arrival at the assembly point rather than landing. As you can see from the note he was "Discharged".

The second MiC, just for Anthony Hegarty 10148 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, shows the initial award of the 1915 Star, VM and BWM but then it is cross referenced to the first MiC. It does however show him with the Silver War Badge. The level of information available on the Silver War Badge Roll varies enormously, but as a minimum it might help confirm date of enlistment.

Cheers,

Peter

Anthony Hegarty 10148 RIF Medal Index card sourced Ancestry.jpg

And if that is the chap on the Ancestry tree, then German Wiki - click gives

Frank Hegarty (eigentlich Francis Anthony Hegarty;) (* 14. Dezember 1892 in Londonderry; † 1944 in Rugby) war ein britischer Langstreckenläufer.

Beim Crosslauf der Olympischen Spiele 1920 in Antwerpen wurde er Fünfter und gewann mit der britischen Mannschaft Silber.

Which translates as

Frank Hegarty (actually Francis Anthony Hegarty;) (born December 14, 1892 in Londonderry, † 1944 in Rugby) was a British long-distance runner.

In the cross country of the 1920 Olympic Games in Antwerp, he finished fifth and won with the British team silver.

I'll have to learn to keep up ! Corisande 's post re the Antwerp Olympics is correct.He definitely joined up in 27/11/1911 and served in India and then Gallipoli its after the wounds in 1915 the trail becomes a bit confusing.Thanks for the help so far.

He is in this ledger on FmP - click as being admitted sick with shell shock to hospital and the evacuated out by sick convoy on 26 Sep 1918. He is in RIR at that point

• 1 year later...

Thanks again everyone for their contributions which have helped my brother Malcolm McCausland to complete and publish his biography of "Anton"Hegarty  entitled "Lion for a Day" Anton's life takes him on  a journey with the Skins through India,Galipoli and France but despite mental and physical scars  he arrives at the Olympic Games in  Antwerp 1920 ready to run the race of his life.