Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A&SH OSD Collar Badges

Jockbhoy67

Can anyone shed any light on this pair of A&SH OSD Collars I recently picked up...The Sutherland clan motto Sans Peur I would have thought should normally be on the scroll below the cat-a-mountain, but on the right one the mottos appear reversed...?

102qj35.jpg

Perhaps the most varied of collar badges in the British Army, Colin Churchill describes the variations as no real significance, being merely the manufacturers idea of how they should be, but the second badge above as a 'mistake - this collar badge has the 'Sans Peur' scroll beneath the boars head'. 

J

I’ve never seen the reversed motto mistake before, I wonder how rare it is.  Had it been a coin the numismatists would be having a field day and there’d be talk of cash value.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’ve never seen the reversed motto mistake before, I wonder how rare it is.  Had it been a coin the numismatists would be having a field day and there’d be talk of cash value.

I wish Frogsmile :)... had a look for similar versions, and found the odd one or two on the internet, but the majority seem to have the correct placement of Sans Peur... I thought it may have been some kind of territorial variation, but probably just a mistake in the manufacture of the dies

Thanks for the suggestion guys, Cheers.