Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C G Shaw 94 coy mgc kia1/7/16 which regt attached

wulsten

Charles George Shaw 28189 killed in action 1/7/16 buried Queens cemetery he served with the 94 coy machine gun corps, however can anyone tell me which regiment he would have been attached to or advice etc, have war diary but unclear as to attachment 

Anything appreciated 

DSC_0622.JPG

The company was part of 94 Infantry Brigade and would have supported all four of its battalions: 12th, 13th and 14th York & Lancaster Regiment and 11th East Lancashire Regiment. You will probably find more information in Martin Middlebrook's book The First Day on the Somme.

Ron

55 minutes ago, wulsten said:

Charles George Shaw 28189 killed in action 1/7/16 buried Queens cemetery he served with the 94 coy machine gun corps, however can anyone tell me which regiment he would have been attached to or advice etc, have war diary but unclear as to attachment

Did you go directly to the Company War Diary or did you find the Monthly extract in the Brigade War Diary? In my very limited experience, the allocation of gun teams for a major offensive tends to be covered in the appendices, and as a general rule appendices, along with maps, seem generally to to be more likely to survive in the Brigade War Diary. Having said which it is still likely to be no more than "No.1 gun, No.2 gun, etc", and if you are very lucky a team leader - not the actual gun crew.

Looking at the 1st July experiences of a couple of infantry battalions I'm interested in, it looks like one put the MG teams who were accompanying the advance on the flanks, (where presumably they could provide covering fire if the advance was held up), but the downside would be that if they died on the way across no-mans lands it might be just as likely they'd end up buried alongside men of the flanking unit.

Thus I wouldn't want to read too much into it that according to the Grave Registration report on the CWGC webpage for Private Shaw, while he is buried in grave E.8, graves 7 & 9 are unknowns, while 10 & 11 are men of the 12th Yorks & Lancs who died on the 1st July 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

Ron, thanks for the info, so will probably be unlikely to find exactly where he was attached, which was my concern 

Geoff 

18 minutes ago, PRC said:

Did you go directly to the Company War Diary or did you find the Monthly extract in the Brigade War Diary? In my very limited experience, the allocation of gun teams for a major offensive tends to be covered in the appendices, and as a general rule appendices, along with maps, seem generally to to be more likely to survive in the Brigade War Diary. Having said which it is still likely to be no more than "No.1 gun, No.2 gun, etc", and if you are very lucky a team leader - not the actual gun crew.

Looking at the 1st July experiences of a couple of infantry battalions I'm interested in, it looks like one put the MG teams who were accompanying the advance on the flanks, (where presumably they could provide covering fire if the advance was held up), but the downside would be that if they died on the way across no-mans lands it might be just as likely they'd end up buried alongside men of the flanking unit.

Thus I wouldn't want to read too much into it that according to the Grave Registration report on the CWGC webpage for Private Shaw, while he is buried in grave E.8, graves 7 & 9 are unknowns, while 10 & 11 are men of the 12th Yorks & Lancs who died on the 1st July 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, wow, I will have to read your post closely and have a look at things

Geoff 

CWGC record 15 casualties for the 94th Coy MGC (although one may prove to be 93rd Coy.) for 1st July 1916 and from the 94th Coy MGC WD we see that 3 guns were attached to the 11th East Lancs, 2 guns to 12th Y&L and 2 guns to 13th Y&L. Looking at the respective GRRF for the 6 known graves there is some method in what Peter suggests and so some probability that Shaw was a member of one of the gun crews attached to the 12th Y&L, digging deeper into the 94th Inf Bdes WDs may also yield a better results.

J