Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A translation from French??

joerookery

Could one of the pals help me with this and translate the card? My French is extremely shoddy. thank you.

liège Kaiserlarge.jpg

"Brief course on international and ... patriotic strategy: without worrying ourselves about our treaties, let's invade Belgium traitorously." (I think.)

The pun resides in the difference between trait- and traît- in the original (i, î).

Edited by seaJane

I only hope I'm right! On second thoughts "we invade" is probably better - less slangy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Job SeaJane!! 

"Loyale" does not necessarily mean Patriotic... and indeed it is the first tense, so the really exact translation would be: 

"Little lesson in international and... loyal strategy: without worrying about our treaties, we treacherously invade Belgium". 

And I'd say the difference is on the "Traité" (treaty) and "Traître" (traitor) 

The pun is also on the loyal: one is, in international law, loyal to a government or an institution and the treaties which it is a part of. in this case, they want to be loyal and still disregard a treaty. 

nice card!!! 

Bonne nuit à tous, 

M.

Merci Marilyne!

A little late now, but I can confirm that this seaJane and Marilyne have indeed correctly provided you the translation (Not that there was a doubt haha)!

Would 'trustworthy' be another way to describe 'loyal' in this context? 'Loyal strategy' doesn't quite resonate in English and I'm struggling to think of a synonym that can be used as an adjective in the way that 'loyale' is used in the original. What about 'Little lesson in international strategy and... trustworthiness' or is that too far from the mark?

Robert

8 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

A little late now, but I can confirm that this seaJane and Marilyne have indeed correctly provided you the translation (Not that there was a doubt haha)!

I do hope… or we'd have to invade France!!   :D:D:D

2 hours ago, Robert Dunlop said:

Would 'trustworthy' be another way to describe 'loyal' in this context? 'Loyal strategy' doesn't quite resonate in English and I'm struggling to think of a synonym that can be used as an adjective in the way that 'loyale' is used in the original. What about 'Little lesson in international strategy and... trustworthiness' or is that too far from the mark?

Robert

You're quite right about that.

But then in French " leçon de stratégie fiable" or "digne de confiance", which would then be the translation does not sound very good WRT the pun intended.

M.