Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E de B

mbriscoe

Sure there is an obvious answer but can't think what it is! 

Is there a medal, honour, decoration etc that is abbreviated to "E de B"?  I am transcribing a memorial and it is after one name.  I thought it was some strange first name at first but looking again at the way it is written, it looks like a medal, honour or decoration. He was an officer, Major.

Just come across a Rev. E. De B. Thurston in the BNA so perhaps it is some strange forename. And seeing other names like that.

Edited by mbriscoe

De B might stand for De Broe. I came across an officer during my service with this name but I think he was a Ferguson.

Robin

43 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

De B might stand for De Broe. I came across an officer during my service with this name but I think he was a Ferguson.

Robin

It's odd, a search of the newspaper archive brings quite a number pf appearances of that combination of letters and not all the same person.  Must just be a forename, it looked more like a decoration with the way it was written.  These are not the same one (it is on the other PC)

Capture.JPG

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by mbriscoe

Find my Past has records for Rev, Edward de Bassett Thurston born 1867 in Blandford, Dorset. The search goes on.

Bob

10 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

Sure there is an obvious answer but can't think what it is! 

Is there a medal, honour, decoration etc that is abbreviated to "E de B"?  I am transcribing a memorial and it is after one name.  I thought it was some strange first name at first but looking again at the way it is written, it looks like a medal, honour or decoration. He was an officer, Major.

Do you have an image you can share or point us at - the answer, (or at least the route to finding an answer) might become clearer if it can be seen in context,

Cheers,

Peter

52 minutes ago, PRC said:

Do you have an image you can share or point us at - the answer, (or at least the route to finding an answer) might become clearer if it can be seen in context,

Cheers,

Peter

It's OK, I initially (from the way it was written on the line) that it might be a medal or decoration along the lines of "C de G" but there is plenty of evidence of it being used for a name a number of times.