Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Soldier UK / Unknown Regiment / Uniform

Belaqua

35 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

There is a pension index record on Fold 3 for Reginald H. Woof. It states his mother is Eliza Woof, Marston Magna, born in 1858.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you, I'll keep him in mind but it can't be him, poor guy was in France at the time. And yes I know about his brother Fred :)

48 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

Can you post a high resolution close up of his shoulder title? For example this one is 'T', 'RAMC'; 'London'

image.png.f766d92056908976c8c3492a32f70b71.png

Image sourced from my photos

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris not sure if I sent my reply, I tried but only have an emailed photo not the original yet and its fuzzy. Will see if I can get hold of the original. Thanks.

The whip that the man in the initial photo carries, along with his spurs, and waist belt from the 03 bandolier equipment for mounted duty, indicate that he is an RAMC (the cap badge unmistakable) Driver.  The medical evacuation chain utilised both, ASC and RAMC drivers depending upon the type of medical unit concerned. As with many other non-combatant corps, young and fit RAMC men were often combed out and sent to the infantry in the last two years of the war as they became replaced with men, often the recovered wounded, of lower medical grading.  Many such men became casualties in the last 100-days battles leading up to the Armistice.  It was yet another tragedy of the war that so many survived the early years of carnage only to be caught in the vicious fighting at the end. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The whip that the man in the initial photo carries, along with his spurs, and waist belt from the 03 bandolier equipment for mounted duty, indicate that he is an RAMC (the cap badge unmistakable) Driver.  The medical evacuation chain utilised both, ASC and RAMC drivers depending upon the type of medical unit concerned. As with many other non-combatant corps, young and fit RAMC men were often combed out and sent to the infantry in the last two years of the war as they became replaced with men, often the recovered wounded, of lower medical grading.  Many such men became casualties in the last 100-days battles leading up to the Armistice.  It was yet another tragedy of the war that so many survived the early years of carnage only to be caught in the vicious fighting at the end. 

Thank you ! That's good info and will help a lot. :)

That seems a strong contender, Alf, given that mounted brigades required highly mobile field ambulances and would accordingly have had an establishment of drivers that reflected the requirement.

20 hours ago, alf mcm said:

The local R.A.M.C. Territorial unit for Bath is the 2nd South Western Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance. There is a war diary at The National Archives, but it has not been digitised. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557599

The man in the photo may of course have transferred to another unit.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf, Thank you, we are getting closer because of your info. Cheers Shelley.

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That seems a strong contender, Alf, given that mounted brigades required highly mobile field ambulances and would accordingly have had an establishment of drivers that reflected the requirement.

Hi Frogsmile, Thank you, we are getting closer because of your info. Cheers Shelley.

On 12/07/2019 at 22:43, alf mcm said:

Hi Alf, is it definate that he landed in France June 1915, is that what Qualifying date means ? Not that he was there in France in the 1914 to 1915 Campaign in June 1915 ? I'm just checking to be sure that he was not granted Leave and able to be in Bath during Dec 1915 ? Thanks.

Reginald actually  landed in France on 17th June 1915. His name and number are recorded twice on the medal card {with dittos} which means he returned to England at some time then went back to France.

He cannot be the man in the photo because he wasn't in the R.A.M.C. at this time,

Regards,

Alf McM

33 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

I'm just checking to be sure that he was not granted Leave and able to be in Bath during Dec 1915 ?

Apologies but couldn't see an explanation in the thread. Without being too indiscrete, how do you "know" he was in Bath in December 1915?

Cheers,

Peter

It would seem that the man in the photo may be a cousin of your great grandfather.

Looking at the medal index cards, assuming he served abroad, there are a number of candidates:-

Charles W{illiam} Woof R.A.M.C. 88519 – enlisted 11/08/14, served abroad after January 1916, discharged with Silver War Badge 17/06/19.

Walter Woof R.A.M.C. 103793 – served abroad after January 1916

Herbert Woof R.A.M.C. 102891, R.E. 247524, R.E. WR/266600 – served abroad after January 1916

John Woof R.A.M.C./11 Stationary Hospital 20342 – landed in France 27/08/14, returned to England then went abroad again {born in Newcastle}.

Alfred T{homas} Woof R.A.M.C. 74380 – served abroad after January 1916 {born in Coventry}

Do any of these names appear in your family tree?

Regards,

Alf McM

This could be the person in the photo;

George William Woof, Private R.A.M.C. 88519, married to Ethel Hall in Oldham on 27 January 1919. His father was Henry John Woof, retired Horse Dealer, and his usual address was Marston Magna, near Bath. He may not have served abroad. 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/9095/41501_633870_3281-00016/30421?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/7598477/person/6938876487/facts

Regards,

Alf McM

On 14/07/2019 at 21:23, PRC said:

Apologies but couldn't see an explanation in the thread. Without being too indiscrete, how do you "know" he was in Bath in December 1915?

Cheers,

Peter

Hmmmm well my Grandad was conceived about then and born Sept 1916.

On 15/07/2019 at 01:13, alf mcm said:

George William Woof, Private R.A.M.C. 88519, married to Ethel Hall in Oldham on 27 January 1919. His father was Henry John Woof, retired Horse Dealer, and his usual address was Marston Magna, near Bath. He may not have served abroad. 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/9095/41501_633870_3281-00016/30421?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/7598477/person/6938876487/facts

Regards,

Alf McM

On 15/07/2019 at 01:13, alf mcm said:

Regards,

Alf McM

Just now, Belaqua said:

On 15/07/2019 at 00:02, alf mcm said:

It would seem that the man in the photo may be a cousin of your great grandfather.

Looking at the medal index cards, assuming he served abroad, there are a number of candidates:-

Charles W{illiam} Woof R.A.M.C. 88519 – enlisted 11/08/14, served abroad after January 1916, discharged with Silver War Badge 17/06/19.

Herbert Woof R.A.M.C. 102891, R.E. 247524, R.E. WR/266600 – served abroad after January 1916

John Woof R.A.M.C./11 Stationary Hospital 20342 – landed in France 27/08/14, returned to England then went abroad again {born in Newcastle}.

Alfred T{homas} Woof R.A.M.C. 74380 – served abroad after January 1916 {born in Coventry}

Regards,

Alf McM

Hey thanks Alf, funny I just found this document this morning and am working on it. I think this is VERY helpful. Regards S

7 hours ago, Belaqua said:

So potentially a window from mid-November 1915 to mid January 1916 for a viable birth in September 1916, given the state of medical science at the time. And you have no proof the couple got together in Bath ? -  (although it is probably the most likely explanation). With the demand for woman in war work, (mainly munitions \ nursing as it's a bit early in the war for clerking and the land army or the armed forces), your great-grandmother could have been living away from home.

Just checking, as the hunt for the identity of this man could be looking in entirely the wrong place and incorrectly discounting information that is actually relevant.

Cheers,

Peter

56 minutes ago, PRC said:

So potentially a window from mid-November 1915 to mid January 1916 for a viable birth in September 1916, given the state of medical science at the time. And you have no proof the couple got together in Bath ? -  (although it is probably the most likely explanation). With the demand for woman in war work, (mainly munitions \ nursing as it's a bit early in the war for clerking and the land army or the armed forces), your great-grandmother could have been living away from home.

Just checking, as the hunt for the identity of this man could be looking in entirely the wrong place and incorrectly discounting information that is actually relevant.

Cheers,

Peter

That’s a really good point, Peter, at that time an awful lot of women worked away from home, ‘in service’ (servants to the middle and upper classes) and that can sometimes be overlooked nowadays.

On 14/07/2019 at 14:13, alf mcm said:

Regards,

Alf McM

This picture, from Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/43/?name=george+william_woof&name_x=1_1

shows George William Woof, born 1899. He looks the same to me as the guy in the original photograph.

WOOF.jpg.a8db62b5b31226003eba6eb0300da0da.jpg

Regards,

Alf McM

13 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

This picture, from Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/43/?name=george+william_woof&name_x=1_1

shows George William Woof, born 1899. He looks the same to me as the guy in the original photograph.

Regards,

Alf McM

Jeeze Alf are you living here in the house with me !?. Yes I agree, he is the man I spent all yesterday working on. And I think that too although my sister thinks not. I was given this picture a week ago by this mans sisters grandson ! (my new 3rd cousin) with a bunch of other pictures of all the brothers in the family. But as you know I was concentrating on Reggie. This picture was taken 3 or 4 yeras before the other.

S :)

On 14/07/2019 at 14:13, alf mcm said:

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

I would say a family resemblance rather than necessarily the same man.

However as he didn't marry until January 1919, is it not likely that he will appear on the 1918 Absent Voters List at his parents address? So if you find him there you might well find some if not all of his brothers and their unit details as well.

Cheers,

Peter

On 15/07/2019 at 00:02, alf mcm said:

Regards,

Alf McM

Yes found this yesterday Alf...William George Woof Stated on his marriage cert in 1919 under occupation " R.A.M.C 88519 Pvt " it looks to be in his own handwriting as well.