Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Soldier UK / Unknown Regiment / Uniform

Belaqua

This is most probably my mysterious missing great-grandfather. However, no one has any idea what regiment he served in, just that the photo was taken in England possibly in Bath, Somerset around 1914-1916. I'd really appreciate your assistance identifying his regiment etc by his uniform in the photo. I've read some of your replies to other questions like this and realise now that some of the soldiers in studio portraits were slightly creative with their uniforms, any info would be much appreciated, thanks.1006817679_YoungmaninUniformCourtesyIanPorter.png.852eab98173f1e8215b399d980736046.png

Pte in RAMC and he is a Territorial.

43 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

This is most probably my mysterious missing great-grandfather.

What is his name etc ?

Craig

It  would appear from his spurs and crop that he worked with horses (driver?), The badge on this tunic is the Imperial Service Badge which indicates whilst as a territorial he had volunteered for overseas service if required.  

Simon

9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

What is his name etc ?

Craig

Well to be honest no one knows. Surname is most probably Woof, 1st name could be Frederick..maybe. I'm working on our family tree trying to figure out a very old family mystery. I've found several boys it could be who lost their lives in WW1 and have had a DNA hit on Ancestry throwing up new cousins with the surname Woof but this is our only lead, a photo of a boy in uniform that my Great grandmother kept until she died with the name Woof on the back. 

3 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

Well to be honest no one knows. Surname is most probably Woof, 1st name could be Frederick..maybe. I'm working on our family tree trying to figure out a very old family mystery. I've found several boys it could be who lost their lives in WW1 and have had a DNA hit on Ancestry throwing up new cousins with the surname Woof but this is our only lead, a photo of a boy in uniform that my Great grandmother kept until she died with the name Woof on the back. 

There are a few men with the surname Woof noted as being in the RAMC but no Frederick amongst them.

What part of the country did they live in ?

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

There are a few men with the surname Woof noted as being in the RAMC but no Frederick amongst them.

What part of the country did they live in ?

Craig

Bath, Somerset, I'm fairly sure about that. OK, thats great, Frederick was a hunch. What about Reggie ?

29 minutes ago, mancpal said:

It  would appear from his spurs and crop that he worked with horses (driver?), The badge on this tunic is the Imperial Service Badge which indicates whilst as a territorial he had volunteered for overseas service if required.  

Simon

Thanks, its very possible he did die overseas.

1 minute ago, Belaqua said:

Bath, Somerset, I'm fairly sure about that. OK, thats great, Frederick was a hunch. What about Reggie ?

Not that I can see anything obvious with at the moment (and no Ronnnie either :thumbsup:).

Craig

There is no CWGC record for a Woof dying in RAMC, so it is unlikely he died overseas.

Not that I can see anything obvious with at the moment (and no Ronnnie either :thumbsup:).

Craig

No Crays either ? :) Thanks

14 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

A Reginald Woof was recorded on Stoke Trister memorial cross but there's no further detail noted by the IWM.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/names/search?filters[memorialString][Stoke Trister Church Cross (WMR 25076)]=on

Craig

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

5 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

There is no CWGC record for a Woof dying in RAMC, so it is unlikely he died overseas.

OK thanks. 

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

A Reginald Woof was recorded on Stoke Trister memorial cross but there's no further detail noted by the IWM.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/names/search?filters[memorialString][Stoke Trister Church Cross (WMR 25076)]=on

Craig

Hey thanks, Its a long shot and I'll probably never know for sure but thats cool to know the memorial is there.

9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

I think Reginald was #23073 KOYLI from Marston Magna. reported missing (later confirmed dead) in Sep 16.

Craig

5 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think Reginald was #23073 KOYLI from Marston Magna. reported missing (later confirmed dead) in Sep 16.

Craig

I know a Frederick W was killed in action Sept 16 but will see what else I can find out about Reginald, Thanks.

Hi,

Can you post a high resolution close up of his shoulder title? For example this one is 'T', 'RAMC'; 'London'

image.png.f766d92056908976c8c3492a32f70b71.png

Image sourced from my photos

Regards

Chris

There is a pension index record on Fold 3 for Reginald H. Woof. It states his mother is Eliza Woof, Marston Magna, born in 1858.

Regards,

Alf McM

8 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

I know a Frederick W was killed in action Sept 16 but will see what else I can find out about Reginald, Thanks.

#20303 Frederick Woof, RFA, died in Oct 16 - he was from Chopwell by the looks of it (not far from sunny Gateshead).

There is a pension card for a #88519 George Wood, 60 Alexander Road, Frome. Discharged to class Z reserve in July 1919 and suffered Nephritis.

Craig

I just tried but no go, I only have a emailed photo of the original. I think my Dad has the original, I'll see what we can do.

#20303 Frederick Woof, RFA, died in Oct 16 - he was from Chopwell by the looks of it (not far from sunny Gateshead).

There is a pension card for a #88519 George Wood, 60 Alexander Road, Frome. Discharged to class Z reserve in July 1919 and suffered Nephritis.

Craig

Yes thats Frederick, it could be him or Reggie but he had to be in Bath aprox Dec 1915 and I have no way to figure out when he or either of them left to go overseas/ where they were or when. I know there were training camps on Salibury plain and around Bath but not what sort of leave the soldiers got if any at all until later on in the war. Good one about George Wood/F, will check it thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Belaqua said:

Yes thats Frederick, it could be him or Reggie but he had to be in Bath aprox Dec 1915 and I have no way to figure out when he or either of them left to go overseas/ where they were or when. I know there were training camps on Salibury plain and around Bath but not what sort of leave the soldiers got if any at all until later on in the war. Good one about George Wood/F, will check it thanks. 

Reginald Henry Woof landed in France on 17th June 1915, according to his medal index card. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A001724-02028?pid=702007&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D1262%26h%3D702007%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DbmY29457%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY29457&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.172742435.1815831182.1562215733-119227612.1483026526

Regards,

Alf McM

8 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

SDGW states that Reginald Henry Woof was formerly 9313, Dragoons of the Line. Could this explain the spurs in the photo? https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1543&h=351336&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=bmY29456&_phstart=successSource

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf, I'll see what else I can find about their uniform.