Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Link to war diary (Ancestry) please

Dazscuba

Looking for No4 Comp, 3rd Batt Grenadier Guards for the 27th Nov 1917 on Ancestry and having a little difficulty finding it. 

Anybody a wizz with Ancestry could send me the link please? 

Battalion WD for Nov 17 starts: click here. I got it via 'Various (2nd Guards Brigade)'.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
More information

That’s great thanks but it says full description of the battle written elsewhere. (Please see image) do you know where this may be written? No3 in red. It is not at the end of Nov as it’s goes straight into Dec 1917. 

ancestry.co.uk27C50496-1A6C-4848-9CA1-9B9734B0D139.jpeg.adfafcf37f19fa8c04a400ff16f71b50.jpeg

Edited by Dazscuba

• Admin

The Brigade Diary has a fuller account of the Guards participation in the battle at Bourlon Wood but once again the Appendices noted in the text are missing but what is left  it can be found here.

You may also want to look at the other units which are in the original link posted above.

There is an account of the Guards Brigade in the Battleground Europe series 'Bourlon Wood' Jack Horshall and Nigel Cave. The description of the fighting is graphic and the casualties within the Brigade were overwhelming.  They mention some men of 4 Company  (with 3 Company) joining a handful of the survivors of the other two companies which had been virtually annihilated by machine gun fire from La Folie.  This band sought refuge in a church and by 7.45a.m. were 'fighting an overwhelming number of Germans'.

Suggest you PM Nigel who is still active on the forum to see if he has any further information.https://www.greatwarforum.org/profile/20804-nigelcave/

Ken

Ken thank you very much for the above info. Am away in Malta diving at mo so only have my phone which is a pain. 

Book ordered thank you 

Daz

Edited by Dazscuba

• 6 months later...

Hi.  The book A Generation Missing by Lt Carroll Carstairs of 3rd GG, gives some more details of this attack.

A book Medicine and Duty  by 3rd GG  Med. Officer,  Dr H. Dearden also gives details from his dairies.  I am 

almost certain my relative - Pte. Woodcock 3rd GG was in this company as he was captured in the village and later died 

early Dec. at Hordain. The National Army Museum has more Gren. Gds. records and info. You can search online. 

Hope his useful. Regards jm.