Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these 2 officers brothers of Winifred Maitland?

Jools mckenna

I been trying to find out more about my ancestors who fought during WW1. I had look at the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index on Ancestry and put in the names of 6 of the brothers of my Great Great Grandmother which are:

Percy Maitland.

Lionel Clinton Maitland.

Oswald Maitland, b. 1884, d. 1975.

Herbert Stuart Maitland, b. 1885.

Cyril Maitland, d. 1964.

Norman Maitland, b. 1895, d. 1973.

I found 2 possible matches which are Herbert Stuart Maitland and Cyril James Maitland (on my family's 'list' it's not uncommon for middle names to be left out). Can anybody confirm or deny these 2 men are brothers of Winifred or are the children of Frederick William Maitland and Louisa Jane Sword? Also if they are, I would be extremely grateful if anybody could tell me anything about the 2 men.

21 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

I been trying to find out more about my ancestors who fought during WW1. I had look at the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index on Ancestry and put in the names of 6 of the brothers of my Great Great Grandmother which are:

Percy Maitland.

Lionel Clinton Maitland.

Oswald Maitland, b. 1884, d. 1975.

Herbert Stuart Maitland, b. 1885.

Cyril Maitland, d. 1964.

Norman Maitland, b. 1895, d. 1973.

I found 2 possible matches which are Herbert Stuart Maitland and Cyril James Maitland (on my family's 'list' it's not uncommon for middle names to be left out). Can anybody confirm or deny these 2 men are brothers of Winifred or are the children of Frederick William Maitland and Louisa Jane Sword? Also if they are, I would be extremely grateful if anybody could tell me anything about the 2 men.

Herbert Stuart Maitland is your man it would seem, born 1885 has a an RAF Officer File on FMP.  NoK Frederick W Maitland, Father. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR76%2F330%2F0%2F0615&parentid=GBM%2FAIR76%2F59224

More info here

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php?RAF-code=7000278293&RAF-titel=Maitland%2C+H.S.&RAF-code=&RAF-titel=Maitland&van=1

And an Sherwood Foresters file at the TNA

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1073358

Andy 

Thank you so much for this. As Herbert was originally in Sherwood Foresters is it likely that his brother Cyril might have joined up in the same regiment and that Cyril James Maitland is the right person?

3 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Thank you so much for this. As Herbert was originally in Sherwood Foresters is it likely that his brother Cyril might have joined up in the same regiment and that Cyril James Maitland is the right person?

He is indeed. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO76%2F419%2F0%2F0162&parentid=GBM%2FWO76%2F051805

Also has file at the TNA....which I am visiting this Saturday... 

Andy 

Thanks Andy for confirming my suspicion. 

If you could have a look at his file at the TNA while you're there, I would be most grateful.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Wow, he was in the CEF? He must have moved to Canada before WW1.

10 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

As did Norman Eric. 

They all named on the Wallington War Memorial 

Thanks so much for your help Andy, would have never found any of this without you.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Could you just tell me what the ranks and regiments were for Norman, Lionel and Oswald please as I don't have FMP unfortunately

Edit: So Lionel and Norman were both in the RFC. So what was Oswald in?

Edited by Jools mckenna

With FMP, sign up for the free trial. 

Lionel Clinton also served briefly it would appear. Also RAF. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR76%2F330%2F0%2F0633&parentid=GBM%2FAIR76%

There are possibles for Percy too, but nothing solid as yet. 

Oswald is William Oswald, you should be able to download his file off the Canadian website link I sent. 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

1 hour ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Oswald is William Oswald, you should be able to download his file off the Canadian website link I sent. 

Yes, I'm sorry. I must have been half asleep yesterday. That link was amazing. Quite a good read. 

Edited by Jools mckenna

Has anyone found any trace of Percy? I can find no appropriate birth record. Does not apear in the 1911, 1901 and 1891 census returns for the family.

Edited by Mark1959

38 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Has anyone found any trace of Percy? I can find no appropriate birth record. Does not apear in the 1911, 1901 and 1891 census returns for the family.

For the William Oswald Maitland whose birth was registered in the Brentford District of Middlesex in Q2 of 1884, the mothers’ maiden name is recorded as Sword.

For Herbert Stuart Maitland, (Q1 1886 Brentford) it’s the same mothers’ maiden name.

For the Norman Maitland whose birth was registered in the Croydon District of Surrey in Q3 of 1895, the mothers’ maiden name is shown as Sword.

So going on to look for children registered with the surname Maitland, mothers’ maiden name Sword, a search brings up 9 results in the source I have access to – all likely from dates and places to be children of the same couple. There may be more – there are many records with no mothers’ maiden name transcribed.

The one that is probably most relevant to that question is Frederic Percival Maitland, mothers’ maiden name Sword, whose birth was registered in the Lambeth District of London in Q2 of 1879. However the death of a Frederick Percival Maitland, aged under 1 was recorded in the same district in Q4 of 1879.

Unless Jools knows otherwise then seems likely “Percy” Maitland did not live to serve in the Great War, which also makes sense of him not appearing with the family on subsequent censuses.

Hope that helps,

Peter

I didn't know much about the 6 before and I know when I asked about Percy he wasn't remembered, so him dying as a baby makes sense. Thanks again PRC.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Probably emphasised by 1911 census. Indicates 10 children and 9 living. The other five boys + Violet, Winifred, Dorothy and Alfreda. So indicates Percy is the one that did not survive

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2019 at 23:42, Jools mckenna said:

I have photographed Cyril's & Herberts Officer files, if you send a pm with your email address I will send a Dropbox link. 

Andy