Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Ernest Steed No 5808 1/4th Bn West Riding Regiment

DaveC

Hi Everybody

Seeking information from Local paper an hopefully Photo of Pte Ernest Steed NO. 5808 address 14, Jubbs Fold,Masbro Street, Rotherham KIA 02/03/1916, any information most welcome, Kindest Regards DaveC

Hi Dave,

He died on 2nd SEPTEMBER 1916 not March. Sole legatee was a Mrs. Elizabeth Longley (Soldiers' effects). 1911 @ 14 Jubbs Fold were the Shadlock family. 1914 and 1915 Electoral records show him as Ernest STEAD at No. 14. He is also shown as owning 34 Dalton Lane, Dalton, Rotherham (Ancestry has it as 84)

EDIT   HIS SERVICE RECORDS ARE ON ANCESTRY. 5808, 14 Jubbs Fold. A widower. Was  25340. West Riding Regt. Says his father is "Harry",  address not known. t  Letter 3.3.1921 from his only Son, Richard, 9 Whitworth St., Goldthorpe, Rotherham regarding his father's medals being retained by his, Ernest's, mother. E. Longley,?? 

There is a letter from Mrs. E.Longley 14 Jubbs Fold,  23.4.1919., stating she has lived with the deceased "as his wife" for 15 years  and she didn't know Ernest had any living relatives.......OH BOY.....

I think this is him:-

1911 census Ernest Shakespeare Steed b.1879, Stratford, Warwickshire is living at 34 Dalton Lane, Rotherham. with his wife Elizabeth Margerite Steed, b.1874, Inverness, Scotland. They had been married 7 yrs and had no children. He is a coal miner/hewer. Can't find a marriage for them in 1904 ish. Possibility that Elizabeth Margerite Steed remarried hence Mrs. Elizabeth Longley on Soldiers' effects. (See EDIT above)

His first wife was one Hannah Mellor m. 5th Feb, 1900, St.Peters , Felkirk. Banns 17.12.1899 They had a son Richard (birth registered as STEAD)  who in 1911 is living with his uncle George Mellor.  On the 1901 census Richard is 5 months old. ( Edit..b.31.9.1900) Hannah Steed, his mother 19yrs died 1901 2nd qtr, Hemsworth, 9c,94. Possibly result of complications after childbirth?...looking.....Ernest's father was Henry Thomas Steed born Boulogne, France, a comedian/artist, mother Josephine (nee Lear). Ernest was christened 29.11.1881 @ Rugby, Warwickshire. He was one of 8 children....looking..  EDIT.......IT IS HIM !

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Barry

Many thanks for your reply    It been very helpful, I've seen his Service Record and it shows he was attached 147 Bde Machine Gun Company.   The War Diary for 147 Bde Machine Gun Company for the 02/09/1916 says:

147 Bde Machine Gun Company War Diary

02/09/1916

Moved 6 guns up to tunnels etc. prior to attack next morning, two guns and one team lost through dug out receiving two direct hit from Minenwerther   (none of the Machine Gun team names are listed)

I thought a newspaper article could comfirm Ernest as one of the Gun Crews that was KIA

Once again Many Many thanks Barry for your help.   Kindest and Warmest Regards DaveC

Soldiers died in the Great War gives a Sergeant and 4 Privates from 1/4 WRR KIA on 2 Sep 1916, so likely an MG crew.

Private STEED is one of these, and he is shown as previously with KOYLI as 25343,which,as it is not shown on his Medal Card is likely to have been a UK unit only.

Other casualties were:
805 Sgt Kershaw and Privates 1185 Whitbread / 2884 Seekings / 4189 Holland.

Edited by sotonmate

Ptes 43432 Smith and 9045 Mountford both 147th Coy MGC were also casualties of the 2nd September 1916.

The 147th Inf Bde WD records 'During afternoon enemy blew in No2 Tunnell  damaging a machine gun and burying 5 men'

Casualties

4th West Ridings   Nil

5th West Ridings   Nil

6th West Ridings   1 OR wounded

7th West Ridings   Nil

147th MG Coy       Nil

147th TM Brty        Nil

Hi Sottonmat and Jay dubaya

Many thank for your help The Newspaper article on Bertie Seeking proves that the below mentioned was indeed a machine gun crew, but I still need a newspaper article or something confirming Pte Ernest Steed was one of these men   An help most welcome Kindest Regards DaveC

Hi BRIGHOUSE SERGEANT KILLED.

A letter was received yesterday by Harold Wardingley, of Lane head. Brigjouse, from his brother, Pte. A Wardingley, who is serving with the colours in France conveying the sad news that Sergt. Christopher Kershaw, of the West Riding Regt., had been killed in action, on the 2nd of this month.   The letter dated Sept. 3rd, and the following is an extract: -

“A few more lines hoping to find you all in the best of health.   I am sorry to say that Sergeant Christopher Kershaw was killed yesterday, the 2nd inst. (poor old Kip).   He was buried in a dug-out along with six others, and he was dead when they got him out.   Segt. W. Cheetham has re-joined us again.   the weather is unsettled.   I am in the best of health.”

Sergt. Kershaw, who was 28 years of age, joined the Brighouse Territorials in April, 1909. and was with them at Marske in August of 1914, when the war broke out.   He went out along with the others from Doncaster in April, 1915, and was home on leave at Christmas.    Shortly afterwards he was time- expired, but at once re-enlisted for the duration of the war.   Previous to re-joining his comrades, he was allowed a month’s furlough.   On the 15th of April last he was married  to Miss Annie Crowther, of Brighouse, and went back to the front on the following Tuesday and has not been home since.   Much sympathy will be extended to his bereaved wife and relatives.   Previous to August, 1914, he was employed at Messrs. H. & J. Sugden’s, George Street Mills, Clifton

. (Brighouse Echo Friday 08/09/1916. p. 3)

BURIED IN DUG-OUT

Information was received on Thursday of the death in action on the 2nd September of Sgt. Christopher Kershaw.   W. R. Regt. (T. F.).   He was buried with six others, in a dug-out, and died before he could be got out.   Sgt. Kershaw was 28 years of age, and was a member of the Brighouse Territorials.   He went out to France from Doncaster in April 1915.   Shortly afterwards his time expired, but he rejoined.   On April 16th last he married Miss Annie Crowther of Brighouse.   In private life he was engaged by H. and J. Sugden’s, George Street, Mills, Clifton.

(The Halifax Courier Friday 06/09/1916. P.)

SERGT. C. KERSHAW

Information was received on Thursday of the death in action on the 2nd September of Sgt. Christopher Kershaw.   W. R. Regt. (T. F.).   He was buried with six others, in a dug-out, and died before he could be got out.   Sgt. Kershaw was 28 years of age, and was a member of the Brighouse Territorials.   He went out to France from Doncaster in April 1915.   Shortly afterwards his time expired, but he rejoined.   On April 16th last he married Miss Annie Crowther of Brighouse.   In private life he was engaged by H. and J. Sugden’s, George Street, Mills, Clifton.

(The Halifax Courier Saturday 09/09/1916. p. 6.)

SAD NEWS CONFIRMED.

BRIGHOUSE SOLDIER BURIED IN DUG-OUT  

In the “Echo” last week there was published an extract from a letter written by a local soldier intimating that Sergeant. Christopher Kershaw, of Brighouse, had lost his life on the Western front.   No official information was then at hand, but confirmation of the sad news came during the weekend.

Captain. W.H. Sproulle has written to Mrs Kershaw as Follows: -

Dear Mrs Kershaw, You will no doubt have heard of the death of your husband.   Sergeant. Kershaw, of this company.   I take this opportunity of writing to express my heartfelt sympathy for you in your great bereavement.   There was no N.C.O. or man in the company I had more respect for.   He was the only sergeant who had the pluck to volunteer for the period of the war after his time had expired.   He was absolutely fearless, and always did his work to perfection.   His loss is very deeply felt by the officers and man in the company, all of whom sincerely trust that the knowledge that he died nobly for King and country may be of some comfort to you in your great bereavement.

Another letter has been received from Sergeant W. Cheetham, one of the deceased’s comrades, and from it the following is extracted: -

Dear Mrs Kershaw.   It is with great regret that I write to inform you that your husband was killed on the 2nd of September.   He was buried in a dug out along with six others.   Everything possible was done to get them out alive, but I am extremely sorry to say that our efforts were fruitless.   He is a great loss to this section as sergeant, and also a great loss to me as a pal.   The “boys” all join with me in sending their heartfelt sympathy to you in your great loss, and hope you will find comfort in the fact that he died doing his duty.

As indicated last week Sergeant. Kershaw, who was 28 years of age, had had a number of years service with he Territorials, with whom he went to the front in April last year.   He was married during a short furlough in April this year and has not been home since.   Sincere sympathy is expressed with his wife who has been so early bereaved and with the members of the family of the deceased soldier.

(Brighouse Echo 15/9/1916.)

Sgt. Willie Cheetham was wounded on 6/8/1916, when Pte. Willie Barber Gledhill was killed by a German shell burst.

PRIVATE F. HOLLAND

BURIED WITH FIVE COMRADES IN A

DUG-OUT

Mrs. Holland of No. 80, Holdsworth Street, Halifax, has received intimation that her son Private F. Holland, of the West Riding Regiment, has been killed in action three days ago.   The news was conveyed by a letter from Sgt Mitchell, who states: - “Dear Mrs Holland, - It is with the deepest sympathy that I write to inform you of your sons death three days ago.   He met his death along with six other comrades, being buried in a dug-out.   We did all that was possible to save them but we were too late, death being instantaneous.   Although this will be a terrible blow I do hope it will help to lighten it when we can say how he died doing his duty for King and country.   All his comrades send their deepest regrets and I myself have lost a good comrade. – Yours sincerely Sergt. A. Mitchell.

The deceased soldier joined the colours twelve months last may, and went out to France in February last.   The deceased was only 19 years of age and in civil life worked in the dyehouse at Messrs Balme and Pritchard’s, Atlas Mills.

(The Halifax Guardian Sat 16/9/1916. p. 5)

BRADSHAW  YOUTH KILLED ON HIS BIRTHDAY

Mr. and Mrs. Seekings, 21a Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw, have received the sad news that their son, Pte. Bertie Charles Seekings, W. R. Regt., lost his life on Sept 2.   His friend Pte. J. H. Tattersall (alocal lad), writing to the parents on Sept 5, said: - “It is with my heartfelt sympathy that I write to inform you of the death of your beloved son, Bert, I assure you, I too in his death have suffered a personal loss, as he was my most intimate friend.   In fact, I could not realise it when they told me.   His section has suffered a severe loss, as he was well liked by all who knew him.   He was always so nice and kind.   All join in sending their very deepest sympathy in your sad hours of bereavement.”

Sgt. W. H. Cheetham also telling of his death, wrote: - “He was unfortunate enough to be buried in a dug-out by an enemy shell.   He was one of my best gunners, and we in the section will feel his loss severely.   I and all the boys send your our heartfelt sympathy in your great affliction.

Pte Seekings was killed on his 20th birthday.   He was the eldest of 10 children, and the main help of the family.   By his death the family lose a splendid son and brother.   He was as good a son as he appears to have been a soldier.   The family came to Bradshaw from Huntingdonshire about five years ago, and while residing in Bradshaw Bertie became a favourite with everyone.   He was a member of Bradshaw Church.   As a colour matcher he was employed by Messrs. T. S. Tetley, who appreciated his work.   He enlisted Oct 20, 1914 in the 2/4th W. R. Regiment, but went to France April 14, 1915, to join another battalion.   He was home on leave after the gas attack of Dec. 19, from which he was fortunate to escape.

(The Halifax Evening Courier Monday 11/09/1916.)

DIED IN THE COUNTRY’S SERVICE

SEEKINGS.   On Sept 2nd, 1916, buried in a dug-out Pte Bertie Chas. Seekings 2884 machine gun company.   W. R. Regiment, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Seekings 21a, Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw, on his 20th birthday. – “gone but not forgotten.

KILLED ON HIS 20th BIRTHDAY

BRADSHAW SOLDIER’S FATE

A Bradshaw soldier, Private Bertie Charles Seekings, of the West Riding Regiment, was killed in action on September 2nd, which happened to be his 20th Birthday.   The sad news has beeb received by his parents  Mr. and Mrs. A. Seekings, 21a, Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw.   A friend of the deceased’s another Bradshaw soldier, Pte J. H. Tattersall has written under date September 5th, stating: - “It is with heartfelt sympathy that I write to inform you of the death of your beloved son, Bert, I assure you, I too in his death, have suffered a personal loss, as he was my most intimate friend.   His section has sustained a severe loss, as he was well liked by all who knew him.   He was always so nice and kind.   All join in sending their very deepest sympathy in your sad hours of bereavement.”

Sgt W. H. Cheetham, also has written telling of Private Seeking’s death and of the section’s loss.

Pte Seeking was the eldest son of ten children.   The family came to Bradshaw from Huntingdonshire about five years ago.   He was connected with the Bradshaw Church, and in pre war days was a colour matcher employed by Messrs. T. S. Tetley.   He joined the services in October 1914, and went to the front in April 1915.

(The Halifax Guardian Sat 16/09/1916. P. 5)

SALTERHEBBLE SOLDIER BURIED IN A DUG-OUT

Mrs. Whitbread, 1, Walton Terrace, Salterhebble, has received a letter from a sergeant in the West Riding Regiment (T. F. ). Informing her that her husband, Pte Arthur Whitbread, was killed on Sept 2.   The writer adds: - “ He was buried in a dug-out along with six others, and all our efforts to get them out were to no avail.   He was one of the best chaps it has ever been my lot to meet, and I and his pals in the section lose a comrade whose place it will be hard to fill.   We tender to you our heartfelt sympathy in your great affliction, and trust you will be able to find some consolation in the fact that he died nobly doing his duty.

(The Halifax Evening Courier Saturday 09/09/1916. P. 4.)

BURIED IN DUG-OUT

SALTERHEBBLE MAN’S FATE

Through a letter sent from the front, Mrs Whitbread, of 1, Walton Terrace, Salterhebble, has received news that her husband, Private Arthur Whitbread, of the West Riding Regiment, was killed on September 2nd.

The message says: - “He was buried in a dug-out, along with six others, and all our efforts to get them out were of no avail.   He was one of the best chaps it has ever been my lot to meet and I and his pals in the section have lost a comrade whose place will be hard to fill.   We tender to you our heartfelt sympathy in your great tion, and trust you will be able to find some consolation in the fact that he died nobly doing his duty.”

(Halifax Daily Guardian Mon 11/09/1916. p. 4)

(Repeated in the Weekly Guardian 16/09/1916. p. 5)

IN MEMORIAM

WHITBREAD.   In sad but loving remembrance of my dear son Pte. A. Whitbread, West Riding Regt., who was killed in action Sept. 2nd 1916.

He died for dear old England, the land of his birth.

And went to do his duty for all he was worth.

Highly respected by all who knew him.

He was one of  the best of Britain’s brave sons

Deeply mourned by his sorrowing mother, sisters and brother, 26, Holden Street., 86, James’s Road, and his two brothers, Frank and Tom, serving in France.

(The Halifax Evening Courier Tuesday 03/09/1918. p. 8.)

Part of Map showing No. 2 tunnel. Map supplied by Forum member Howard  Kindest Regards DaveC 

M_025901-cropped_jpg_a3bfef9e6a35eb9d2cf12915516de077.jpg

Edited by DaveC

Need information on Pte Edward Mountford No. 9075 MGC KIA 02/09/1916 Born, Darnall Yorkshire, Enlisted Doncaster, Resided Brodworthn formerly No. 17718, Yorkshire L I,, would have most likely have known Pte Ernest Steed who was also formerly No. 25343 Yorkshire L. I.   Also looking for information on Pte Robert Smith No 43432 MGC., born Warrington and enlisted Warrington.   formerly No. 4030 South Lancashire Regiment.    Kindest Regards DaveC

Pte Bertie Charles Seekings

BRADSHAW  YOUTH KILLED ON HIS BIRTHDAY

Mr. and Mrs. Seekings, 21a Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw, have received the sad news that their son, Pte. Bertie Charles Seekings, W. R. Regt., lost his life on Sept 2.   His friend Pte. J. H. Tattersall (alocal lad), writing to the parents on Sept 5, said: - “It is with my heartfelt sympathy that I write to inform you of the death of your beloved son, Bert, I assure you, I too in his death have suffered a personal loss, as he was my most intimate friend.   In fact, I could not realise it when they told me.   His section has suffered a severe loss, as he was well liked by all who knew him.   He was always so nice and kind.   All join in sending their very deepest sympathy in your sad hours of bereavement.”

Sgt. W. H. Cheetham also telling of his death, wrote: - “He was unfortunate enough to be buried in a dug-out by an enemy shell.   He was one of my best gunners, and we in the section will feel his loss severely.   I and all the boys send your our heartfelt sympathy in your great affliction.

Pte Seekings was killed on his 20th birthday.   He was the eldest of 10 children, and the main help of the family.   By his death the family lose a splendid son and brother.   He was as good a son as he appears to have been a soldier.   The family came to Bradshaw from Huntingdonshire about five years ago, and while residing in Bradshaw Bertie became a favourite with everyone.   He was a member of Bradshaw Church.   As a colour matcher he was employed by Messrs. T. S. Tetley, who appreciated his work.   He enlisted Oct 20, 1914 in the 2/4th W. R. Regiment, but went to France April 14, 1915, to join another battalion.   He was home on leave after the gas attack of Dec. 19, from which he was fortunate to escape.

DIED IN THE COUNTRY’S SERVICE

SEEKINGS.   On Sept 2nd, 1916, buried in a dug-out Pte Bertie Chas. Seekings 2884 machine gun company.   W. R. Regiment, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Seekings 21a, Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw, on his 20th birthday. – “gone but not forgotten.

KILLED ON HIS 20th BIRTHDAY

BRADSHAW SOLDIER’S FATE

A Bradshaw soldier, Private Bertie Charles Seekings, of the West Riding Regiment, was killed in action on September 2nd, which happened to be his 20th Birthday.   The sad news has beeb received by his parents  Mr. and Mrs. A. Seekings, 21a, Bradshaw Lane, Bradshaw.   A friend of the deceased’s another Bradshaw soldier, Pte J. H. Tattersall has written under date September 5th, stating: - “It is with heartfelt sympathy that I write to inform you of the death of your beloved son, Bert, I assure you, I too in his death, have suffered a personal loss, as he was my most intimate friend.   His section has sustained a severe loss, as he was well liked by all who knew him.   He was always so nice and kind.   All join in sending their very deepest sympathy in your sad hours of bereavement.”

Sgt W. H. Cheetham, also has written telling of Private Seeking’s death and of the section’s loss.

Pte Seeking was the eldest son of ten children.   The family came to Bradshaw from Huntingdonshire about five years ago.   He was connected with the Bradshaw Church, and in pre war days was a colour matcher employed by Messrs. T. S. Tetley.   He joined the services in October 1914, and went to the front in April 1915.

(The Halifax Guardian Sat 16/09/1916. P. 5)

Seekings.JPG

image.png.8acbc2f2c4d4422f68c875e23110063a.png

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 16 September 1916

Cannot see anything else at the moment

George

27 minutes ago, Jim Mitchell said:

Mountford E.  Pte KOYLI Don Gaz 29th Oct 1915.jpeg

Taken from the Doncaster Gazette 29th 10th 1915 could be your man. Quoted as being wounded. Just checked definitely your man. there are more references in the local papers Doncaster Gazette and Doncaster Chronicle, there is only one photograph the rest will be written reports regarding his death notice etc. There is also an insertion on the 03-01-1919 this could be a memorial or a birthday memorial. I only have access to photos on my data base the other information I have obtained from an index of local newspaper insertions for WW1 and WW2. His list of effects were sent to his Mother Mrs Harriet Gill.Regards.

Edited by Jim Mitchell

Hi George and Jim, Many Many thanks for your kind help,   The shelling of the No. 2 Tunnel on the 02/09/1916, is really coming to life, I now have 4 photo's out of the six casualties and three news paper accounts, still a bit more to get but I'm sure with the help of the forum members we will get there.   Kindest and Warmest Regards DaveC

HI Jim

Would it be possible for you to get the newspaper reports on Pte Mountford for me it would be of great help    Kindest and Warmest Regards DaveC

Dave I will have a look next time I go to the archive (probably next week) regards.