Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
RobertBr

18th, 29th, 47th, 56th Divisional Histories

RobertBr
Posted (edited)

I have just got back from Oxford where a bookseller in Gloucestrer Green Market was selling the above Divisional Histories.

I purchased the 56th History by Dudley Ward. Its dated 1921 and looks as if its hardly been opened; happy days.

Bob

Edited by RobertBr
Can't spell! or type!!

Chris11

Well done. I am sure the book(s) couldn't be in better hands. 

If it should by chance make reference to losing (almost) a whole gun crew between 28th and 30th March 1918 at Arras (outside Bailleul) (A or 109 battery) please do let me know. I'm still trying to piece together the exact activities of A battery between those dates.

Happy reading.

Chris.

RobertBr
1 hour ago, Chris11 said:

Arras (outside Bailleul)

I assume you mean Bailleul (outside Arras)

Chris

Have you seen my long post 28th March 1918 about the Mars Offensive.It covers gun positions movements and RFA Casualties.

As far as I know there are no Battery War Diaries for the Brigades. My primary sources were the CRA, RFA and Infantry Brigade War Diaries and the above mentioned Divisional History (A recent print).

Let me know if you need more help.

Bob

Steven Broomfield

The 47th History is a particularly nice book.

Chris11

Bob,

Yes indeed, I put "outside Bailleul" in brackets to identify a more accurate location during the battle of Arras, I wasn't meaning that Arras was outside Bailleul.

I have posted my thoughts on your other detailed thread. I hope you don't mind it being over there. I really appreciate the information you have posted.

I have looked through a list of all the CWG RFA casualties and I can find no occasion when a whole A battery gun crew perished at the same time. So my theory that he actually witnessed a 109 battery gun direct hit seems the most plausible explanation that most coincides with the family anecdote. 

Chris.