Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Battalion in England

unitedsound

As you will see from attached images my subject joined 94th in Ontario, sailed to England, TOS 32nd and finally TOS 5th CEF Infantry battalion.

Can anyone help me from the time he was at East Sandling in Kent through embarkation and arrival in France. I have the war diary from 1/1/17 but nothing before that.

My blank dates are end of August 1916 to end December 1916.

Alexander was killed near Farbus.

TIA

David

CEE12AEC-293F-43FF-A32B-4BD4DCB32B99.jpeg

1E1B1D10-CE84-4879-8F0F-F3ECD5673F65.jpeg

Can anyone help decipher the Casualty Form entries for 16th September 1916 to 16th December 1916 inclusive?

I think it says

Joined 5th Canadian Battalion

To 1st Canadian divisional school

From 1st Canadian divisional school
Appointed Lance Corporal.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

don,t know if you have these

regards

Bp

ob R.

McIntosh circumstances of death.jpg

McIntosh circumstances of death.jpg 2.jpg

Many thanks for that valuable document Robins.

It surprises me that on CWGC website that Alexander is shown as being remembered on the Vimy Memorial even though he was briefly treated for wounds near Farbus. I would have expected to find that he was buried in one of the cemeteries. 

Can anyone help with this please?

Finally, does this document confirm the date that Alexander and his battalion sailed fo France as 28th August 1916?

TIA 

David

22BB7C28-CCD5-40CF-AA37-6B410192CEDF.jpeg

This is Alexander. I don’t know which battalion this is. Either 94th or 32nd or 5th.

15908024-47B4-4ADF-B0D3-3F68F013B4A1.jpeg

10 hours ago, unitedsound said:

This is Alexander. I don’t know which battalion this is. Either 94th or 32nd or 5th.

15908024-47B4-4ADF-B0D3-3F68F013B4A1.jpeg

CEF_E94.jpg

220px-5CMR.jpg

I would say 94th

interesting on CWGC they have him listed as Sgt.  I did not see anything in his records that indicated he had been promoted from L/Cpl and like you say, he was being treated when he died so one would imagine his remains would have been buried some where near Farbus as indicated on the circumstances of death card. is there anything to indicate a clearing station/hospital in the area?? seem strange to me also that he would be named on Vimy Memorial as having no grave

regards

Bob R.

Thanks again for your help Bob.

April was a terrible month for the 5th and it could be that he was “promoted” then. I recall that my GU was appointed to Tempy 2nd Lt when in the Somme battlefield.

I will pursue the CCS line and also any written or typed burial records at Farbus.

I did another quick read of his records, I can see nothing there that he was promoted to Sgt., all the records have him as L/Cpl  just wondering if may be CWGC has made a mistake by listing him as Sgt>???

Just a further thought, in reading circumstances of death card, states he received first aid but died ON WAY TO FIELD AMBULANCE, which I think he never made it to a CCS/Hospital, the first aid may have been given at the area he was wounded by corpsman .  Hard to say, just a thought.

regards

Bob R.

Thanks again Bob.

Your help is much appreciated.

David

• 4 years later...