Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Playle DCM & Bar

Ernie  Playle was my great aunts husband who was in the Royal field artillery in the great war. He survived the war and during that time won the DCM and bar. He died in 1960 and is buried in St Pauls Bentley Brentwood Essex. I have been researching my family tree for some years and have always wondered what happened to the medal and hope someone could shed some light on this enquiry. My name is Mary S Larner 

• Admin

Hello Mary and welcome to the forum.

When you say "what happened to the medal" is that because it is no longer in the family? If it is no longer in the family a post in the family seeking medals section of the British Medal Forum may a good idea.https://britishmedalforum.com/index.php

I presume you have the London Gazette entries for his medal, citation and bar? (1/1/1917; 13/2/1917; 25/8/1917)

Good luck with your search

David

As David says, the Britishmedalforum would possibly be the best start - clearly if his group are still together, then from a collectors point of view it is a prime and valuable example.....highly desirable in todays market. Shame it is not with the family. Lets hope that they still do exist and have not been lost. Please let us know how you get on Mary.