Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French 1916 Postcard (Belgium)

Tomb1302

Hello,

I think the location may be near De Panne or Kokside in Belgium-since the postcard says a

souvenir from Belgique.

There are many sand dunes there on the North Sea Coast, and many servicemen took the

opportunity to swim or sail there, if they had free time. My grandfather was in the RNAS

based at Furnes Aerodrome, and I have photos of him and colleagues in the water.

Your postcard of these men reminds me of a photo I have, which I now think may show

French soldiers repairing roads.

Did any French regiments get moved from the Meuse front to this part of Belgium in early

1916?

Regards

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2019 at 09:56, sdparker said:

Hello,

I think the location may be near De Panne or Kokside in Belgium-since the postcard says a

souvenir from Belgique.

There are many sand dunes there on the North Sea Coast, and many servicemen took the

opportunity to swim or sail there, if they had free time. My grandfather was in the RNAS

based at Furnes Aerodrome, and I have photos of him and colleagues in the water.

Your postcard of these men reminds me of a photo I have, which I now think may show

French soldiers repairing roads.

Did any French regiments get moved from the Meuse front to this part of Belgium in early

1916?

Regards

Geoff

Geoff,

Terribly sorry - Missed this somehow.

I'm not aware of any French regiments being moved accordingly, but I could conduct the research. Additionally, @JWK and @seaJane (amongst others) are great help as well!