Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
jacks

Enhancing Photo

jacks

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help with enhancing the attached photo so I can read all the names on the roll of honour. I have tried Photoshop but not had much success. I only have a scan of the original postcard. The original postcard has been lost but the person who had the postcard was able to transcribe most of the names of the men who died (they have a cross by their names). Unfortunately the roll of honour has also been lost.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jacks

St Lukes Deptford1.jpg

Jim Clay
1 hour ago, jacks said:

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help with enhancing the attached photo so I can read all the names on the roll of honour. I have tried Photoshop but not had much success. I only have a scan of the original postcard. The original postcard has been lost but the person who had the postcard was able to transcribe most of the names of the men who died (they have a cross by their names). Unfortunately the roll of honour has also been lost.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jacks

St Lukes Deptford1.jpg

It looks to me like considerably more than 113 names - but this IWM page purports to list all 113 of the names - https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/73090

Jim Clay

This 'lost' memorial was previously discussed here: 

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Sadly, only a very high resolution scan of the original photo would stand any chance of identifying the names.

Just magnifying a low res image only gives you a large undecipherable image.

TV programmes like NCIS frequently promote the idea that any small image can be blown up limitlessly to reveal the minutest of detail.

If your original image is a good quality photographic negative you might stand a chance, but seeing now that the image you're working from is itself a digital image where each name is only 3 or 4 pixels high, I'm afraid the chances of getting any useful data out using non-military grade software is very low.

jacks

Thank you for your reply. I didn't hold out much hope but thought I would ask just in case.