Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 / Versailles / Weimar Blucher Sword Markings

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

I recently picked up a WW1 / Treaty of Versailles / Weimar Blucher Artillery Sword.

While I understand most of it, a Luneschloss blade assembled at Erfurt in 1901, it is also stamped 1920 on one side of the crossguard and 4/F.7.52. I understand the Great War Regimentals but am not familiar with the Weimar(?) stamps.

Also, would the regimental be of the Weimar Period or during the early 1920s.

Tanks and Best Regards!

- Mike

Blucher Sword.jpg

Edited by MikeS0000

The '1920' mark indicates that this was registered under the terms of the Versailles treaty as a legal weapon for use by the Weimar army after 1920. The 4/F.7.52 is also a Weimar marking, for the 4 (Gebirgs) eskadron der 7 (bayerisches) Fahrabteilung waffe Nr 12, so for the motorised setion of that unit. It is mentioned in two German sources - http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/S/SchlemmerH-R.htm and http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/B/BetzelC-R.htm for men who played important positions in the 3R Wehrmacht

Hi Trajan!

Thank you very much! I never would have suspected it to be a Motorized Unit. I found photos of these units with motorcycles, but no others.

It sure had a long and storied life. I imagine it was brought back by a GI after WW2. You can see a trace of the Imperial Regimental, where it was scrubbed to put the Weimar one on.

Best Regards!

- Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your post which I was interested to see as I have an example in my collection, again with the 1920 stamp.  As far as I recall yours is only the second I have seen with that 1920 marking. 

In case it is of interest here is an article:     

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/bw.htm 

Again, thanks for your post and, as always, to Julian for the information supplied.

Michael. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2019 at 04:36, Michael Haselgrove said:

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your post which I was interested to see as I have an example in my collection, again with the 1920 stamp.  As far as I recall yours is only the second I have seen with that 1920 marking. 

In case it is of interest here is an article:     

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/bw.htm 

Again, thanks for your post and, as always, to Julian for the information supplied.

Michael. 

Hi Michael!

Thank you for your kind comment and link, and again to Julian for the information he supplied. I believe Julian and I cross paths over on the Gunboards Forum also. I was quite amazed when I found it. Couldn't believe that it would still be viable in the years leading up to the Second World War!

Best Regards!

- Mike

On 26/07/2019 at 03:52, MikeS0000 said:

... I believe Julian and I cross paths over on the Gunboards Forum also. I was quite amazed when I found it. Couldn't believe that it would still be viable in the years leading up to the Second World War!

Yes that will be me! But you are not MikeS0000 there?!

I have seen other substantially pre-ww1 swords with 1920 marks on GBForum. Yes, evidently still considered serviceable by the Weimar army, and the Stempelvorschrift or illustrated key issued on 1st August 1920 as to where the 1920 mark should be on the various weapons the Weimar army legally held does include the "Artillerie-Sabel". Beats me also why a motorised unit would want these!

Julian

PS: MIchael- thanks for that link to kaisersbunker!

Edited by trajan
Add PS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julian!

Yes, over on the Gunboards I am plain old MikeS, no 00000's after. :)

...and, you are very welcome.

Best!

- Mike

Gotcha now!

Cheers,

Julian