Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What oil would a ww1 aero engine use?

ServiceRumDiluted

Does anybody know what lubricating oil a WW1 vintage aero engine would have used?  I work for a lubricant company and this has come up,  the engine will not be leaving the ground so no need for flight standard oils. I imagine it would have originally used Castor oil or a thick SAE50-60 mineral oil. There is no filtration so no need for detergent.  I already supply thick detergent free oils for WW1 era motorbikes and vehicles, but never before for an aero engine.  Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Castor oil was used in rotary engines. the only Great War pilot I ever met fle Cameld. Although I have never seen it stated anywhere else, he said the ingestion of the fumes caused unfortunate bowel problems. Others may have 'eared different' of course.

A number of rotary pilots had severe reactions to the castor oil used ('used' being the correct term since most of the oil was thrown out of the engine) and were placed on to either pusher types or non-rotaries.

4 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

Does anybody know what lubricating oil a WW1 vintage aero engine would have used?  I work for a lubricant company and this has come up,  the engine will not be leaving the ground so no need for flight standard oils. I imagine it would have originally used Castor oil or a thick SAE50-60 mineral oil. There is no filtration so no need for detergent.  I already supply thick detergent free oils for WW1 era motorbikes and vehicles, but never before for an aero engine.  Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Hi

Lubricating Oils mentioned in documents (1916 & 1917) include, Vacuum B.B. oil, Vacuum A oil, and Castor oil.

Mike

Thanks all, good to get some contemporary information. Interesting that as if being a pilot wasn't frightening enough they had to contend with the laxative effect of Castor oil!