Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Tomb1302

French Postcard Depiction

Tomb1302

Hello all,

I just purchased this off eBay, and, although the 'seller's' image isn't very telling, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a date, and maybe some more information?

I've deduced it can be no later than 1915, but, am not sure if it is pre-war, or just at the beginning of the war.

I can read the back, but have provided it for any clues regardless - Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 9.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.06.42 PM.png

Tomb1302

Tomb1302

Is nobody able to provide me with anything definitive?

seaJane

I'm not an expert in the uniforms, but the fact that he has lost so much weight in training makes me think that it must have been particularly intense, so the first autumn/winter of the year? 

I see the photographer is based in Rouen - does searching Rouen caserne 1914 bring up anything that could be the building?

Tomb1302
8 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I'm not an expert in the uniforms, but the fact that he has lost so much weight in training makes me think that it must have been particularly intense, so the first autumn/winter of the year? 

I see the photographer is based in Rouen - does searching Rouen caserne 1914 bring up anything that could be the building?

Thank you @seaJane!

Unfortunately, I can't find anything definitive, but, if during the war, it would definitely have been during 1914.

I also began to look for the 39e and 74e R.I, as, it says these were authorized photographs from Rouen for those regiments.

Thoughts?

JWK
Posted (edited)

Loosely translated (with my schoolboy French, and a French course in Montréal - 45 years and 15 years ago respectively.....)

Not too sure about the sentences in brackets [   ] though...

My dearest grandmother,

for several days I’ve had the intention of sending you my latest news, all of which is excellent by the way.

I’m doing very well, am a bit miffed that I lost 4 kilos during the month of October, but I’m still looking fine. I have a cold at the moment but [it’s not bothering me too much?]

We probably have 8 days off from 28th december to 5th january.

[The girls are with aunt Charlotte this morning, who suffers from rheumatism, so she can’t come as you will understand. ?]

I hope you are well, and in any case we’ll see eachother in january.

Bye my dear grandmother, “je vous embrasse” [“I kiss you [formal]” sound so harsh, better go with the French]

Edited by JWK

Tomb1302
16 minutes ago, JWK said:

Loosely translated (with my schoolboy French, and a French course in Montréal - 45 years and 15 years ago respectively.....)

Not too sure about the sentences in brackets [   ] though...

@JWK, thank you for the translation! It matches the translation I had (Born and raised in France).

What can you tell me about the contents of the photograph, if anything?

Thank you again!

JWK

Ah good! So my French teacher back then (lovely lady by the way!) did a good job.

Can't tell you anything about the photograph I'm afraid.

But the message (beautiful handwriting btw!): if France was at war with Germany, would the writer have written (in November/December of a given year) "Oh yeah, we'll probably have 8 days off around New Year's"?

I don't know. To me it *feels* like a card sent "in training" before the war, not during.

But I could be só wrong!

Tomb1302
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JWK said:

Ah good! So my French teacher back then (lovely lady by the way!) did a good job.

Can't tell you anything about the photograph I'm afraid.

But the message (beautiful handwriting btw!): if France was at war with Germany, would the writer have written (in November/December of a given year) "Oh yeah, we'll probably have 8 days off around New Year's"?

I don't know. To me it *feels* like a card sent "in training" before the war, not during.

But I could be só wrong!

@JWK Nice to find someone else fluent in French on these forums!

Very great deduction; it leads me to about the point I began to struggle on. Regardless of whether it is pre-war, or early-war, it is a great representation of the early exposure of men to the conflict!

I'm not so sure about the New Year comment, it is an odd one. Could the soldier have thought the conflict would end soon, or something of the sorts?

And yes, the handwriting is truly gorgeous!

Do you mind if I link you to the thread of the second postcard I bought?

Thank you!

Edited by Tomb1302

JWK

Ah, I now see there's a little more written on this card:

"je vous embrasse de tout coeur. Votre petit fils .." (and then I lose it I'm afraid. What's his name??

[I embrace you with all my heart. Your grandson ....]

And who is he on the card? Any telltale rubbing near/on one of the faces?

16 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

Do you mind if I link you to the thread of the second postcard I bought?

Ofcourse not! :D

seaJane
4 hours ago, JWK said:

What's his name??

As far as I can make out from the crossed lines and the flamboyant signature, it's Jacques.

Tomb1302
14 hours ago, seaJane said:

As far as I can make out from the crossed lines and the flamboyant signature, it's Jacques.

I'm sorry, unless I'm missing something, I don't see a name. Could someone point it out please?

JWK

Tomb1302
1 minute ago, JWK said:

jacques.jpg.fd7f9463b838b5053cd54734e6a89a65.jpg

My apologies @JWK, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Let me start up my second thread here - Give me a few moments!

JWK

@seaJane spotted it first!

Tomb1302
Just now, JWK said:

@seaJane spotted it first!

Thank you both - You've both been incredibly helpful!

I tagged you both in the new thread. I hope that doesn't bother you or @seaJane.

Thanks!