Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Gt Gt Grandad

loulabelle

Hello everyone, I am new here so please forgive me if I do this wrong, Can anyone help me please, this is my Gt Gt Grandad and I want to know if anyone can identify the hat badge and give me any help with this Pic, his name was John Edward Williams , thank you

64927328_710539042713065_1718630910091329536_n.jpg

Edited by loulabelle
want notifications and forgot to tick box , now cant find box

Morning and welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few Williams' in the various collections of records so a little more information will help the search. Birth, lived in, married, parents etc can all help to identify him.

On the uniform front no idea I', afraid although emblem rings a bell.

And the notification switch is under these boxes when you reply!

George

Welcome to the Forum,

May I make a suggestion, and move this to the Badges and Uniforms area of the Forum?

It's a Pagri flash, unfortunately I can't make it out, another badge or uniform expert may have the answer for you on that section of the forum.

Good luck

Chris

The uniform is tropical so not western front; Egypt, Mesopotamia or Salonika are all possible or East Africa.

Edited by Gardenerbill

11 hours ago, loulabelle said:

want notifications and forgot to tick box , now cant find box

You just go to the top right of this page, and click on drop down box "Follow". It then gives you various options as to how often you want to get an email saying there is a new reply

If you can provide us with a better picture of the badge on his helmet that would be most helpful. 

Thank you 

Toby 

The hairstyle, cut of the jacket and presence of collar badges suggest to me a later date than WW1, probably 1930s.

I agree with wainfleet that this is most likely an image from between the two World Wars.

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies, unfortunately the pic is very small, but I will try to get a better pic of the badge

2 hours ago, ATNOMIS said:

I think I something like that in my collection. I think Dorsets/Devons. I'll dig them out and post

Simon

I did wonder if it might be ‘WILTS’, but it is insufficiently clear.

That's ok, thank you for trying, I can't make it bigger either, I looked with a magnifying glass but still no luck exept that the 2nd and 3rdbletters looked the same

On 11/07/2019 at 14:28, ATNOMIS said:

I think I something like that in my collection. I think Dorsets/Devons. I'll dig them out and post

Simon

Thank you

Hi all, this is the best picture I can of the badge, I took it through a magnifying glass, I know it's still not clear, but I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd letters are the same, thank you for all your help so far

IMG_20190713_142228.jpg

2 hours ago, loulabelle said:

Just found this pic on the net, is it the same?, It looks very very similar

It looks right at first glance and the lettering also seems to fit, although a curved layout with as few letters as possible was common.  Unfortunately it’s not clear enough to see if it reads ‘QUEEN’S’.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think that's it. This sign was used interwars.

1 hour ago, wainfleet said:

I think that's it. This sign was used interwars.

Yes, it seems to relate to the 2nd Battalion Queen’s in India, circa 1920.  The B&W group photo at this link shows the helmet and badge in use: http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/reg_in_india/india38_1.shtml

See also the photo of RSM ‘Chokey Bill’ Sullivan below.  His bed plate is also enclosed.

The scarlet rectangle in the colour image of a helmet above shows how the bottom piece of the India Frock (loose fitting scarlet jacket) shoulder straps, which contained the unit title in woven worsted thread, was cut off and then stitched onto the facing cloth diamond and the whole affixed to the helmet.  The group of soldiers also shows this in use.

46C47DD3-35CE-461D-95AF-250AD7FB6696.jpeg

DE6BBC90-86BB-417B-ACA2-ED1E7A23F7EC.jpeg

B8015E38-B4CC-4792-BF70-DF748E79D70C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 hours ago, loulabelle said:

Just found this pic on the net, is it the same?, It looks very very similar

qrwshelmet.jpg

Great find loulabelle, I think you've cracked it yourself.

On your magnified photo you can clearly see the 'EE' of QUEEN'S.

And the layout is the same as that on the photo provided by FROGSMILE.

Good work!

Chris

Thank you, and I'm glad I could get a better picture for you, it's good to have more sets of eyes looking at it to help identify it

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, it seems to relate to the 2nd Battalion Queen’s in India, circa 1920.  The B&W group photo at this link shows the helmet and badge in use: http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/reg_in_india/india38_1.shtml

See also the photo of RSM ‘Chokey Bill’ Sullivan below.  His bed plate is also enclosed.

The scarlet rectangle in the colour image of a helmet above shows how the bottom piece of the India Frock (loose fitting scarlet jacket) shoulder straps, which contained the unit title in woven worsted thread, was cut off and then stitched onto the facing cloth diamond and the whole affixed to the helmet.  The group of soldiers also shows this in use.

46C47DD3-35CE-461D-95AF-250AD7FB6696.jpeg

DE6BBC90-86BB-417B-ACA2-ED1E7A23F7EC.jpeg

B8015E38-B4CC-4792-BF70-DF748E79D70C.jpeg

That's a brilliant picture, and the date is about right too, as he was born in 1902, thank you so much for your help

Glad to help.  You can perhaps now research a little about the 2nd Battalion of the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, with which your forebear must have served.  The Regimental HQ and Depot was in Guildford (Stoughton Barracks).

Edited by FROGSMILE