Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charger Loading Lee Enfield. C.L.L.E.

Steve1871

pic's kind of dark, need get more later, but on the road now.

Not sure why say C.L.L.E. On one side and Mk 1 on other , Do not think too many made. 

With that (stacking Rod) was there a specific Bayonet with a channel bored out in back to fit over that Rod ????? A variant of 1903 bayonet?

I have a few  No.1. Mk.3 rifles with volley sight's yet I remember them (the flip up rear/ peep site) are unmarked. This piece is nicely marked , crown- AII  E. EFD ( enfield)  and I have a No.1. Mk.1 similar marked. I do not know what the top letters are for? Factory?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Converted to CLLE by VSM (Vickers Sons & Maxim) in 1909. The 'E' on top means Enfield rifling.

thank's ShtLE303

I not sure if the rod in front is a cleaning Rod or not, found 4 other's on line, none has the Rod . That makes it more scarce, maybe?

Made originally as a MLE Mk1 in 1898 & converted to a CLLE Mk1* in 1909, the rod is incorrect & does not belong.

Edited by 5thBatt

Hey 5th Batt, you say Rod is incorrect, , been try read up on it, the early rifles had cleaning rod,  enfield/ Metford type, but Rod was left off about a year after the switch from black powder to cordite, so since mine still has a cleaning Rod , you say wrong type, not a problem for me, then it must have the channel in the stock, I just need to find the right type of rod, right? When they changed to no cleaning rod, then the stock would not have the cut out for cleaning rod. I a trucker 'Cross the pond , no be back to look at it again for awhile

The clearing rod (not cleaning rod) was done away with in 1899, the designation of the rifle also changed from MLE Mk1 to MLE Mk1* (your designation Mk1* below the CLLE marking refers to the Mk of the CLLE & not what i am saying here) the rod in your rifle is not the correct type. 

Resized_20180915_123838_3230.jpeg

Edited by 5thBatt