Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND Wearing rate v Army Rank

NR72

Hi all, 

Question - I have continually heard post 1916 the RND Wearing RN rate on left arm and the equivalent army rank on the right 

The only time I have see this I s on 2 photos , firstly a lad from Hawke Bn wearing a lance corporal stripe to denote him being a AB higher grade and Chief Flook wearing a Army crown on his lower right sleeve.

Has anyone Seen and can show me a Leading hand wearing corporals stripes or a Petty Officer wearing Sargents stripes ?

Thank you 

Attached photo is of Petty Officer A.Buckman DCM.  with PO insignia and Sergeant's chevrons. Photo is some time after the award of his DCM in 1917 - see the London Gazette 23/3/1917

Mike H

IMG_20190707_0001.jpg.5a4659c164e2174e7107484cca817804.jpg

Excellent thank you Mike , it seems it wasn't always done then, I've seen lots of photos of POs just wearing Naval rate

Edited by NR72

• 7 months later...

Here is an example of the PO badge PO Buckman would have worn on his left sleeve -

Bryan

PO khaki.JPG

Thanks Bryan , I managed to come by an original last year worn on the Ancre ! 

IMG_20190710_104500_295.jpg

55 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Here is an example of the PO badge PO Buckman would have worn on his left sleeve -

Bryan

PO khaki.JPG

That's a nice one, is it original? 

Hi NR,

That PO insignia has seen a bit of hard service for sure, a nice worn example tho!

Yes mine is original, have had it many yrs, I have several Victorian\Edwardian & 1WW era badges in my collection but have been gradually selling them off as getting on in yrs & feel time to unload.  I had a 1WW vintage LS (red embroidery on khaki) hook also but sold it when I sold LS ranks off earlier in yr.

Bryan

Edited by RNCVR

10 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Hi NR,

That PO insignia has seen a bit of hard service for sure, a nice worn example tho!

Yes mine is original, have had it many yrs, I have several Victorian\Edwardian & 1WW era badges in my collection but have been gradually selling them off as getting on in yrs & feel time to unload.  I had a 1WW vintage LS (red embroidery on khaki) hook also but sold it when I sold LS ranks off earlier in yr.

Bryan

Bryan please let me know if you decide to sell anymore ! 

Shoot me yr email addy pls.  Are you in UK?

I have a large Victorian\Edwardian\1WW era photo collection of RN ratings wearing badges of all types. I might have some RND, I could check but it may tak me a while to go thru them.  Normally I did not focus on RND but if a good photo came up that I liked I might have something. Leave it with me.