Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Nigel Marshall

Glanford Brigg Union Workhouse Infirmary

Nigel Marshall

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has any reference that shows that this establishment was used as some form of military hospital during the Great War. I have checked the list of hospitals on The Long, Long Trail, and there is no mention of it.

The death of a soldier who is buried in a Leeds cemetery was registered in Glanford Brigg in 1917. His surviving military records show little.

No one in his immediate family has a connection, that I've found, to the area, so the presumption is that he died there due to being in the Army there, or thereabouts.

He is variously shown as being 5th Bn, West Yorkshire Regt, 1/6th Bn, West Yorkshire Regt, and Royal Defence Corps.

Cheers,

Nigel

Bernard_Lewis

Some info but probably of no use ☹️ http://www.workhouses.org.uk/GlanfordBrigg/

Bernard

Nigel Marshall

Thanks Bernard.

David, that's a possibility. Frodingham was in the Glanford Brigg Registration area.

I'll send off for the man's death certificate and see where that places him.

Cheers,

Nigel

DavidOwen

Nigel

Looks like Frodingham was the pre-cursor to the current Scunthorpe General Hospital https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_General_Hospital

Of absolutely no use except for interest!

Not been able to find any VAD cards with a Frodingham Cottage Hospital connection.

Regards

David

Nigel Marshall

I've received the death certificate.

He died in a private dwelling house in Scunthorpe, from acute peritonitis and exhaustion, after being employed locally as a turner in the steelworks.

Cheers,

Nigel