Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1 London (Royal Fusiliers)

Ken Wayman

Does anyone know of a memorial dedicated to the men of 1/1 London Battalion from the Great War. I can find memorials for all the battalions of 56th '1/1 London' Division but not for 1/1 London Royal Fusiliers.

Ken

The main memorial, to all the men of the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment, some 22000 from WW1, is in High Holborn. I haven't found anything specific to 1st Battalion yet !

Many thanks, it gives me a start rather than leave a  blank in an appendix!!

Much obliged

Ken

Ken

Meant to mention that the unit was based in Handel Street, Bloomsbury, in Aug 1914 (source LLT) and wondered whether there might be some kind of memorial there ?

Hello Ken.   Strangely enough I posted a question earlier today concerning the London Battalion War Memorials. 

I’ve been to Balham in the past which houses a small museum dedicated to the 1st and 2nd London’s. There is no mention of a 1st London’s memorial but the 2nd London’s is in the main drill hall ! 

I have made enquiries with the Royal Fusiliers And hope to get an answer to this. I understand that Handel St which was the old HQ for the 1st London’s doesn’t have a memorial for them either. 

Darren 

I've a vague idea that there were Royal Fusiliers memorials in St Andrews Church, Holborn, but can't now find any mention.

RM

7 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Ken

Meant to mention that the unit was based in Handel Street, Bloomsbury, in Aug 1914 (source LLT) and wondered whether there might be some kind of memorial there ?

Very good idea, thank you.

Ken

7 hours ago, MindenBoy said:

Hello Ken.   Strangely enough I posted a question earlier today concerning the London Battalion War Memorials. 

I’ve been to Balham in the past which houses a small museum dedicated to the 1st and 2nd London’s. There is no mention of a 1st London’s memorial but the 2nd London’s is in the main drill hall ! 

I have made enquiries with the Royal Fusiliers And hope to get an answer to this. I understand that Handel St which was the old HQ for the 1st London’s doesn’t have a memorial for them either. 

Darren 

Hi Darren

Didn't know about the museum, though it's many miles from home! Thanks for the info about Handel Street - may I cheekily ask you to share the answer you receive from the Royal Fusiliers?

It's just about the only info I have yet to track down for my book on 56th Division at Third Ypres.

All the best

Ken

Ken,

I paraded at Handel St for three years; no memory of a memorial there.  I think there is also a memorial specifically to the London Regiment, which lists all battalions, outside the Bank of England; this might be a suitable alternative if there is no obvious battalion memorial.

Regards

Colin

The  memorial mentioned is the London Troops Memorial, located outside the Royal Exchange in the City of London, and as mentioned commemorates all London troops who fought in WW1 & WW2.

Among those units listed on it for WW1 are both the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment & the 1st-4th TF Battalions of the London Regiment who had the subtitle Royal Fusiliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Troops_War_Memorial

I have read elsewhere that all units mentioned on the memorial were given a replica, and some still exist.

Ken.  Once I have some sort of answer concerning the war memorial of course I will let you know.  I’m ex RRF so have contacted the Regimental Colonel at the Tower and he has promised to look into it for me. I know the 1st London’s published a magazine called the Tudor Rose c1920-39. I hope to get some time in the next few months to look through them and confirm if there is any reference to a memorial. Fingers crossed 

Darren 

18 hours ago, travers61 said:

The  memorial mentioned is the London Troops Memorial, located outside the Royal Exchange in the City of London, and as mentioned commemorates all London troops who fought in WW1 & WW2.

Among those units listed on it for WW1 are both the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment & the 1st-4th TF Battalions of the London Regiment who had the subtitle Royal Fusiliers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Troops_War_Memorial

I have read elsewhere that all units mentioned on the memorial were given a replica, and some still exist.

Apologies, I stand corrected; my memory was from a few years ago.  

Ken.   I have located a tiny newspaper  picture and very scant wording showing the unveiling of a war memorial for the 2nd/1st London’s by General Sir Ian Hamilton at the Middlesex Hospital and dated c1924. 

Whilst this is not the 1st/1st it  shows the 1st London’s did have some form of memorial. Hopefully I can establish more information soon.  Darren 

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:14, Colin W Taylor said:

Ken,

I paraded at Handel St for three years; no memory of a memorial there.  I think there is also a memorial specifically to the London Regiment, which lists all battalions, outside the Bank of England; this might be a suitable alternative if there is no obvious battalion memorial.

Regards

Colin

Many thanks for the info, Colin.

Ken

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:41, MindenBoy said:

Ken.   I have located a tiny newspaper  picture and very scant wording showing the unveiling of a war memorial for the 2nd/1st London’s by General Sir Ian Hamilton at the Middlesex Hospital and dated c1924. 

Whilst this is not the 1st/1st it  shows the 1st London’s did have some form of memorial. Hopefully I can establish more information soon.  Darren 

Appreciate that, Darren, thank you.

Ken