Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Battalions War Memorials

MindenBoy

I’m currently attempting to put together material for a project on the War

Memorials of the various Battalions of the London Regiment. I am looking to record a description and photo for each one, when they were unveiled, by whom and where they were placed. I have located a fair number of them through various sources but I am currently unable to find anything on the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 17th and 23rd London Battalions. 

I believe the 3rd London memorial was placed into storage around 1955-60 with the closure of the Harrow Road Drill Hall but has never resurfaced. I really can’t believe that such sacred objects in some cases received such scant coverage. 

I would really appreciate any information or pointers on the subject. 

Cheers Darren 

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:44, MindenBoy said:

I am currently unable to find anything on the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 17th and 23rd London Battalions. 

Hi Darren

I can help with a couple of the battalions:

1/3 Battalion plaque located in the Army Reserve Centre, 27 St John's Hill SW11 1TT.

1/4 Battalion plaque located in the Army Reserve Centre, Napier House, Baring Road, Grove Park SE12 0BH.

Hope this helps

Ken

Darren

Apparently a London Rifle Brigade memorial plaque may be found in the Church of St Botolph without Bishopsgate, Bishopsgate, London.

And 1/7 Battalion memorial plaque is in  The Army Reserve Centre, Baring Road, Grove Park, London SE12 0BH.

Ken

PS: This is from T'internet so not sure on accuracy.

Edited by Ken Wayman
Extra info found.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:12, MindenBoy said:

Ken what’s your interest in the 1st London’s ?? 

Hello Darren.

My interest arises from my researches for a nearly-completed book on 56th '1st London' Division in the Battle of Langemarck, 16-17 August 1917. It traces the development of the Rifle Volunteer Corps from 1859, through the army reforms to the creation of the TF in 1908 and the six-year existence of the 1st London Division TF until 1914. It looks at where the battalions of the division were sent during 1914-1915 and where they fought. The re-creation of the division, as the 56th, is detailed as it the division's service up to Third Ypres. The part played by 1/1 London (Royal Fusiliers) at 'Langemarck' is examined and mapped; I have also tried to trace all those who were killed, unit by unit.

Ken