Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Meikle, M.M., L/Sgt S/3145, 9th Gordon Highlanders

Tom Lang

I am researching this soldier and have a couple of anomalies I'd like to solve is possible.

He was born in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1896.
In the 1901 Census he was age 4, and living with his family at Roman Road, Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
In the 1911 Census he was age 14, a Colliery Pony Driver, and living with his family at Roman Road Cottage, Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

His MIC shows that he joined The Gordon Highlanders as S/3145, and went to France on 9th July, 1915. 
The MIC also shows that he was "Dis 5-9-17', and I assume that was the date of his Discharge.

The London Gazette, no 29749 of 12th September, 1916, shows that he was awarded The Military Medal.
This information is repeated in The Edinburgh Gazette, no 12986 of 15th September, 1916.

The War Diary of the 9th Bn Gordon Highlanders shows him listed with others as being awarded The Military Medal on 16th September, 1916. I have transcribed the specific page, and have underlined and boldened his name in red.

The Roll for those entitled to the "WAR BADGE" (otherwise known as The Silver War Badge) shows that he was awarded Badge Number 188,367. The Roll shows that he Enlisted on 2-9-14, and was Discharged on 17-5-17 (this date differs from the MIC). The Cause of Discharge is shown as "Wounds. Trans. to Cl. "P" A.R.".

The Pension Index Card shows that his Date of Discharge was 5th September, 1917. 
This date is the same as the MIC, but differs from the SWB Roll.

Andrew Meikle died on 1st April, 1920, age 23, at Glenlee Lodge, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
His death record shows the cause of death as "Pneumonia (Double)".
From what I can find, Glenlee Lodge was used as a tuberculosis hospital.

Andrew is NOT listed on the CWGC or SNWM websites.

Andrew is listed on a family headstone in Larkhall Cemetery, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The headstone is that of his paternal grandparents, but I don't know if he is actually buried there.

He is not listed on the Cambuslang, Motherwell or Larkhall War Memorials.

I have found 5 newspaper clippings reporting the award of The Military Medal to Andrew. 
Two of these show his photograph.

I'm aware that the his date of death is within the CWGC date range of 4th August, 1914 to 31st August, 1921. I will submit my documents on this soldier to ask that they commemorate this soldier.

I have searched the War Diary from May, 1917, to September, 1917, to try and find any mention of him being evacuated back to the UK. But since he was an "O.R." (and there are lots and lots evacuated), I am unable to determine when he was evacuated.

Can any of the Gurus please explain the Cause of Discharge on the SWB Roll as "Wounds. Trans. to Cl. "P" A.R."?
I don't know if 'Class 'P' Army Reserve' is correct.

Is there any other way that I could find a definite date of discharge, or description of his 'wounds'? 
The Pension Index Card shows his 'Invaliding Disabilities' have been scored out - Amputation of left leg, Compound fracture both bones right leg.

Kindest Regards.

Meikle Andrew MM - LSgt S3145 Gordon Highrs - 09 Jul 1915 - disch 05 Sep 1917.jpg

London Gazette 29749_Page_07.jpg

Meikle Andrew MM - LSgt S3145 Gordon Highrs - SWB - 02 Sep 1914 - disch 17 May 1917.jpg

Meikle Andrew MM - LSgt S3145 Gordon Highrs - Pension Index Card p1.jpg

9th Bn Gordon Hghrs - War Diary - 1916 09_Page_08.jpg

1916 09 24 - LSgt Andrew Meikle MM.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
Spelling eror

This is very interesting.

The headstone actually says "died of wounds" (deceasedonline). (Very interesting and frustrating - I thought deceasedonline had the burial register for Larkhall Cemetery, but alas only the inscriptions.

RM

Edited by rolt968

20 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

This is very interesting.

The headstone actually says "died of wounds" (deceasedonline). (Very interesting and frustrating - I thought deceasedonline had the burial register for Larkhall Cemetery, but alas only the inscriptions.

RM

Here's a closeup of the headstone.

1917 04 26 - Bryan James - KIA France age 26 - Larkhall Cemetery - p3.jpg

Have you found any reports of Andrew Meikle's death in newspapers? I have found an In Memoriam the following year, but nothing for his actual death.

RM