Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William A C Barnes Ox and Bucks Light Infantry

pudsey63

Hi, 

Jus checking info info for this man on the war memorial in Steep, Hampshire. There is a bit of confusion as to which of two men he may be. I have checked all the usual records and here’s my question. If you were starting with just the information in the title, who was he? I am hoping that someone might help me double-check my conclusion. Fingers crossed. Sometimes it’s hard to see the wood for the trees. TIA. 

1701 mother was Dorcas. Effects Register. Dorcas though born in Oxfordshire was living in Brown Candover in 1901 census. The youngest in the family is a William A aged 6 born Candover. By 1911 she is a widow and living in Iffley, Oxford. William Arthur Cecil is 16 and living with his "uncle" (half brother of father or may be son of WAC's father by a previous marriage?? - tree looks complicated) in Steep.

This entry on CWGC I think makes it certain

barnes.jpg.0080eb337a347c7639a54b3329f48e4c.jpg

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you Jay and Mark. That is very helpful and confirms I’m on the right track. 

Cheers.

Judith

• 2 weeks later...

1701    a/Sgt    BARNES    William    "Born 1895 @   Iffley    Oxon" Enlisted  Oxford    3 May 1916    Died of wounds  age  21     "Enlisted as Pte, into O&BLI (TF); with 1/4th Bn, B Coy; France & Flanders, 29 March 1915; wounded Hebuterne, 3 May 1916; died at Fld Amb; M: 1915 Star, War & Vict; buried Hebuterne Mil Cem, Pas de Calaise, France, Plot I, Row D, Grave 20.

Son of William & Dorcas Barnes of Iffley, Oxford; native of Preston Candover, Hants."