Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P14 Identification Help Please

Hi

I have purchased a P14 (FAC working) and I have some questions I hoped might be answered by someone with expert knowledge please.

My rifle is a Winchester W53611 (action and barrel) but the bolt is 34826 (no leading mark however there's a W on the underside).  The extractor is star stamped but no other part has a star stamp I can see.  The bolt also has a stamp 'M.C.5'

The wood (which is in excellent condition) looks more like M1917 but it shows no evidence of being reworked and the bottom metal is a good fit.  There's no brass disc and no evidence of there being one removed.  No volley sights.

The rifle shoots well, it has Alf. J Parker TZ sights which work well and are reasonably calibrated with modern ammo.

My questions are:

It seems like an early one - is that correct?

Why would the wood be different - could it be Weedon replacement?

Is it a "bitsa" made up from spares and if so would that be Weedon or some later gunsmith?

Any help would be a massive favour,  many thanks in anticipation.

bolt stamp.jpg

left side.jpg

right side.jpg

matching serial nos.jpg

action barrel proof and inspection.jpg

bolt lever W stamp.jpg

star stamp extractor.jpg

action proof.jpg

barrel proof.jpg

bolt lever 8 stamp.jpg

bolt proof and serial no.jpg

stock 1.jpg

Edited by Guest
revised question

• 5 weeks later...

I sorry that I do not know, I have a P.17

your rifle looks Exelent . What does "FAC" mean. I know Cross' the Pond, you guy's have a lot of gun's in Non- Op. Status. Does it shoot?Hope so. A Winchester P14 bayonet in early Canvas scabbard and your British Tan canvas sling wound really make it stand out. 

Again, the condition of your rifle really looks great.

Steve, FAC is a 'Firearms Certificate', so it seems that it is shootable! Hard also to get for a rifle... UK law is very tough on these matters. While it is legally possible to own and use a working shotgun or rifle, there are - as I understand it - different requirements to getting a FAC according to what you have. So, it seems to me that while every UK citizen has the right to own a shotgun, she/he still has to get a FAC, but it is the other way round with a rifle, you have no right to own one but have to prove the need to own one before getting a FAC. 

This is just my opinion by the way, as I understand it from the two of my brothers who were in the police frce, one in a rural area.

Edited by trajan

Thank's Julian

Hey Popsbengo

I just notic that your P.14 there was modified with a target sight, bright daylight plays with the screen on my phone. It is still a nice rifle, with those sights, most likely a British rifle club, were very popular late 1940's - 1870's or even later. You should really be hitting those target's spot on with that. Cheer's Mate