Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Austria-Hungary produced more coal and steel than Russia and France?

EL KAISER

I found the following source (https://d2ct263enury6r.cloudfront.net/wjtUw0Rs5B6PbUu3zggvIi2gVfuqF3xqukTWXXf77X1ti1al.pdf) detailing that Austria-Hungary supposedly produced more coal and steel (in 1913/14) than Russia and even France:

Coal/steel output (in million tonnes)

36.2/3.6 (Russia)

40/4.6 (France)

47/5 (A-H)

I thought both Russia and France had much more powerful economies, yet those materials are very basic to any industrialized nation. Are the figures correct? Do others here know other sources? Thank you.

37 minutes ago, EL KAISER said:

I found the following source (https://d2ct263enury6r.cloudfront.net/wjtUw0Rs5B6PbUu3zggvIi2gVfuqF3xqukTWXXf77X1ti1al.pdf) detailing that Austria-Hungary supposedly produced more coal and steel (in 1913/14) than Russia and even France:

Coal/steel output (in million tonnes)

36.2/3.6 (Russia)

40/4.6 (France)

47/5 (A-H)

I thought both Russia and France had much more powerful economies, yet those materials are very basic to any industrialized nation. Are the figures correct? Do others here know other sources? Thank you.

Hi

In 'The World War 1 Databook' by Ellis & Cox, p.285, it has the following:

Production of Coal (millions of metric tons):  1913 - France 40.8, Russia 29.0, A-H 43.8.  1914 - France 27.5, Russia 31.9, A-H 39.2.

Crude Steel (millions of metric tons): 1913 - France 4.7, Russia 4.2, A-H 2.6.  1914 - France 2.8, Russia - 4.5, A-H 2.2.

Mike

the total coal production of nations is very misleading as there is a vast difference in calorific value between coals and lignites some coals are much more useful in a war economy partiularly in steel makingl. coking coals are needed for metal forgings. Navy boilers at the time  prefered  hard coals,so it was the quality of coals  that counted .

reguards

dave

• 2 months later...

And since we are on the subject, why did Russia had a much bigger industry than Austria's? From what i have read, Austria-Hungary outproduced russia in coal production, in industrial machinery production, in electric home appliances, in the density of its railway network, in the percentage of the urban population, etc. I mean it seems it was much more modernized and industrialized than russia, yet russia supposedly had a much bigger industry.