Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with 'French Map' ? Coordinates please

jaykayu

Hello

Can anyone help with the 'Approximate Map reference where body found' coordinates on this Concentration form below from Ham British Cemetery, Muille-Villette please?   They are

They do not appear to be similar format to coordinates for French Lambert maps elsewhere on GWF. In the 'Approximate Map reference where body found' column the handwriting reads  'Ref French Map Ham 1/20,000. (at the top of the form the writing gives the  location of the Ham cemetery in British format standard coordinates (66d etc).

A lot of the Concentration forms from Ham cemetery quote this  'Ref French Map Ham 1/20,000. and then just numbers such as 66.58

Ideally I would like to lookup on any present day map where these locations are.

Any clues please?

Many thanks

J

197051488_ham11Ddoc2763403.jpg.960be04bee4194b2a5a73a01df80cc9d.jpg

Not exactly sure but Ham is in the middle of Map Sheet 66

image.png.b9c3e764f09da86a0725b19cab05c7e6.png

French Map or Trench Map?

Acknown

Not my area of expertise, but with regard to the reference at the top of the document, have a look at this: http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4318/-/collection. It is Ham 66d, which has a square 'Q'. The square is divided into numbered sub-sections and Square 2 is further divided into four sections a - d as in Square 6. Thus, the bodies were found in the red area below (www.openstreetmap.org). I can't work out what 1-4 means. Perhaps it indicates four further sub-divisions of Square Q2a, in which case the bodies were found across the whole of Square Q2a.

But I may be entirely wrong!

Acknown

image.png.a6826ad7ddbcbcda10f8fcc768c4be65.png

What

7 hours ago, Acknown said:

French Map or Trench Map?

Acknown

Doh....  thanks so much Acknown!   It's so obvious now you point it out the handwriting actually reads Trench Maps.  I was thrown by the strange (to Me!) coordinates in the Approximate Map reference where body found' column of the CWGC Concentration Form, and thought they were from some French Map . When you compare the capital T of 'Shoulder Titles' written in the far right 'Means of identification' column on the Form it matches the T of Trench. Amazing what difference a fresh pair of eyes makes! Thanks again.

So now I need to find out where the coordinates 66-58 are on the 1:20,000 Trench map of Ham. I think it would it be better to start a new thread correctly titled 'Trench Map Coordinates' ;)

I think these 4 digit Trench Map coordinates are not unique, I have other copies of CWGC Concentration forms for graves in Ham that use these, including ones for different Trench maps e.g. for Nesle.

Cheers

J

I happened across the thread below about French trench maps. Here is a website I found that may help: http://rdf.muninn-project.org/ontologies/btmaps.html. I'm not going to read it all myself!

I suspect that an expert will enlighten us soon.

Acknown

53 minutes ago, Acknown said:

I happened across the thread below about French trench maps. Here is a website I found that may help: http://rdf.muninn-project.org/ontologies/btmaps.html. I'm not going to read it all myself!

I suspect that an expert will enlighten us soon.

Acknown

Many thanks Acknown.  There is an interesting part in the French Trench Maps post you linked above from Paul Hederer who mentions The various fortified places were mapped at 1:20,000 (plan directeur) as center-point and extending out to a certain distance.   If one of these exists for Ham it may be what I am looking for. (I have also started a separate thread on the same subject of trying to identify these 4 number map references with 'Trench Maps' in the title - the jury is still out if the hand writing on the CWGC concentration form says French Maps or Trench Maps!)

Cheers

J