Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

TGM

Lodge Moor camp - UK's biggest second world war prisoner camp unearthed in Yorkshire

jay dubaya

I grew up only a stones throw from Redmires, my father as a teenager remembers the WW2 camp there. Is your interest with the WW1 or WW2 aspect of the camp? If you use the forums search facility ‘Redmires’ should pull up most if not all posts relating to this camp. There is a Facebook group that goes by the name of Redmires PoW Camp Heritage Project that will be of interest I’m sure, also the Sheffield History forum will be worth looking through

J

John Gilinsky

I tried finding Redmires on Facebook but only get an Italian in Italian language WW2 fb page.  My interest of course is in WWI.  A Manchester Guardian story (?) recent states that Karl Doenitz was held as a POW in this camp during WWI (captured towards end of the war in late 1918 and slightly wounded).  The same story states that Doenitz feigned mental illness to avoid being tried as a war criminal.  Does anyone have anything information, documents, archival citations, etc... on this Doenitz as a POW period of his life and especially this aspect of his imprisonment?  I tried finding the hospital that he was transferred to but they may be a multitude as several Manchester area hospitals were amalgamated in the past 10 to 20 years.

Tx

John

jay dubaya

John the FB page is ‘Redmires PoW Camp Community Heritage Project’. It’s a closed group so you’ll have to request to join but the request will be swiftly dealt with. Regarding Karl Doenitz I have nothing on file but I do have access to some Sheffield newspapers and will gladly look over the weekend when I get the chance

Jon

TGM

I just stumbled across the article and thought it was worth posting.

John Gilinsky

I know that Doenitz covers in his famed after release post-WW2 autobiography his WWI service and that he became a POW after his sub was sunk I think in the Med.  Where can I find any information on his sojurn in Great Britain circa 1918 - 1919 presuming that he was most likely released at some point in 1919.