Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Wicko

Please help identify medals

Wicko
Posted (edited)

just Got a big box of medals from my dad who passed, we had no idea he had these. I have no idea what they are but seem to be all German... if you guys can help I’d be in your debt, I’m in Australia, Brisbane. The collection came from England a few months ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wicko
Added images

Fergie
Posted (edited)

Top pic is the Cross of Honour also known as the Hindenburg cross from ww1.

2nd pic from left to right is the iron cross 2nd class ww2, war merit cross with swords x 2 ww2, war merit cross ww2,  winter campaign medal eastern front ww2.

3rd pic, in red box is a party long service medal the l to r iron cross 1st class ww2 , 2 ww1 iron cross 2nd class,, another ww1 1st class, and ww2 rnd class iron cross.

Edited by Fergie

Fergie
Posted (edited)

4th pic is a selection of  infantry assault badges, a minesweeper badge, tank battle badge,, general assault badge, anti aircraft badge and various wound badges.

the medal with the orange ribbon looks like a german defence medal, next to a ww2 bar to a ww1 iron cross 2nd class and possibly a luftwaffe pilots stick pin.Bottom extreme right is a combined pilot, observers badge.

The last pic I think is what are known as tinnies, badges given out at various party rallies etc.

Edited by Fergie

Fergie

Nice collection btw, I collect British,American and German ww2 medals.

kmad

Hi

nice collection and if original worth a lot of money

if you are disposing of the medals make sure you are aware of the value

i would put this collection in the several thousands of Pounds value wise

keep well

ken

depaor01

This thread might get locked because it's not WW1 so don't take offence if it does but, in the meantime, speaking as a collector of these things, your dad had a very good eye for nice things. A very impressive collection. 

Dave

robins2

yes very impressive and as stated , if original, worth several thousand dollars, some rare WW11 medals (hand to hand combat medal with 75 banner) just to mention one

regards

Bob R.

chaz

As has been mentioned, not all ww1, but if consulting an 'expert' try to make sure he/she is.

many German medals were and are still being made and aged in the old Eastern bloc countries. With German medals the value is normally in the paperwork with them, her the value is the name of the soldier etc.

looks like you have a couple of screw back Ik1's. I had one in a box. Sold it as genuine a couple of years after buying from a dealer at a militaria event locally. Went to America,, I soon got an email accusing me of selling a copy. It was re funded and returned, I still have today. Talking at a later event, I was told " that particular dealer will sell you a fake but he won't buy it from you".

there are plenty of militaria forums for German collectables and so much discussion about what is right and what is wrong. I have stopped collecting ww2 period German apart from what I already have, soldbuchs and wherpass, even then it's buyer beware, water damage can cover a myriad of faults. It did rain during the conflicts.

Boomstick

Impressive collection.. Sorry to hear about your father lost mine a year ago it's tough let's just hope they are in a better place. Now to your items I think you probably have figured out what most are but i.am not sure if you know the value. As long as all are real you have a few thousand dollars there. Make sure if you are getting rid of them search this site for referrals to make sure you don't get ripped off. I am sure it took your father a ling time to.collect all of it and it.would be a shame to just give it.away. The other side of the coin is to keep them they are only going up in value everyday. So think about your options but understand that's a lot of money you have there. Take care and  I hope you enjoy them

keithmroberts

I htink it is probably appropriate to lock this topic. The WW1 items have been identified, and the remainder is outside our remit.

if you OP  wish to get more detailed advice on some of the WW" material you could do worse than join the British medal Forum where there are I believe manty who can help.

Keith Roberts