Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medals, First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, Blendecques, 3 July 1918

ejwalshe

101 YEARS AGO TODAY:  Military Medals, First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, Blendecques, 3 July 1918.  General Herbert Plumer decorating ambulance drivers for bravery during air raids, Blendecques, 3 July 1918. "For gallantry and conspicuous devotion to duty, when an ammunition dump had been set on fire by enemy bombs and the only available ambulance for the removal of wounded had been destroyed, these ladies subsequently arrived with three ambulances, and despite the danger arising from various explosions, succeeded in removing all the wounded.  Their conduct throughout was splendid."- War Office, 9 July 1918.  Officers and S.E.5a Scouts of No. 1 Squadron, RAF at Clairmarais aerodrome near Ypres. The group includes two Americans serving with the Royal Air Force, Lieutenants D. Knight and H. A. Kuhlberg, 3 July 1918.

Thanks for these pictures.

One question: do we know exactly WHO these decorated women are?? One of them is Margaret Cameron Young, I guess??? who died not a month later???

Because the CWGC database does not mention the MM.

M.

Hi Marilyne

I tried my best to identify the women.

There is a newspaper article and photo in the Daily Mirror on 8 July 1918 that may give the names of these women.

I do not have access to the publication....do you perhaps?

Cheers, Ted

Ted,

No, I Don't have access either. Not even sure that it still exists… or we'd have to go to the archives themselves. But surely Margaret Young was amongst them?? why else is she in the presentation??

M.

According to Norman Gooding's excellent book 'Honours and Awards to Women The Military Medal' there were 17 members of F.A.N.Y. awarded the MM during the First World War. Margaret Cameron Young is not amongst those listed in the book.

Could find nothing relating to this presentation (photo or report) in the 8 July 1918 issue of The Daily Mirror as available in the British Newspaper Archive via findmypast.

On 9 July 1918 there was a report in The Daily Mirror of the gazetting of the Military Medals with the citation as quoted in post #1 which related to the London Gazette published the previous evening, i.e. 8 July 1918. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30784/supplement/8029 

It seems odd that the medals would be presented on the 3rd of July before the awards were published in the London Gazette on the 8th: and there are only four members of the F.A.N.Y. and one V.A.D. attached in the notification.  

On 04/07/2019 at 13:14, ejwalshe said:

Hi Marilyne

I tried my best to identify the women.

There is a newspaper article and photo in the Daily Mirror on 8 July 1918 that may give the names of these women.

I do not have access to the publication....do you perhaps?

Cheers, Ted

The names in the Daily Mail are:-

Miss Sarah Bonnell, FANY

Miss Evelyn Gordon-Brown, FANY

Miss Aileen Maude Faulkener, FANY

Miss Evelyn Faulder, FANY

Miss Nellie Dewhurst, VAD attached to FANY.

No mention of Margaret Young.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the clarification… I'll continue my search for Margaret Young … 

M.