Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pagri or puggaree

KENDO

Hi all,

The name of the cloth around the Wolseley helmet, is the correct term pagri or puggaree or are both words correct?

Best regards,

Kendo

I would say that both are acceptable, being transliterations of a Hindi word, but "pagri" is the spelling which appears in official regulations.

Ron

This gets interesting.  Mr Google says that PAGRI is the  cloth that is applied by hand to become a turban.  "He" defines PUGGAREE as:

" a thin muslin scarf tied around a sun helmet so as to hang down over the wearer's neck and shield it from the sun " .    That sounds more like a Havelock to me ???   :huh:

Dear Kendo,

We called the cloth bands around our (off topic) 558543189_SelfatHolsworthyCampFeb1963.jpg.756e023fb8689a578e220d57eaa5a5bd.jpgAustralian Slouch Hats, Puggarees...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All, and Kendo,

Here is a Cairo portrait of my late great-uncle Trooper Thomas Francis Lindsay, Australian Light Horse, KiA 14 July 1918, Palestine.

The Puggaree on his Slouch Hat can be seen quite well.

The "Rising Sun" Australian Military Force badge on the front is unusual (normally seen when the left brim is turned up).

Kindest regards,

Kim.1335745258_ThomasFrancisLindsayTpr2ALHKiA14Jul1918Palestine.jpg.7fbd57c53a29c631156858ff47e0f8b3.jpg 

They are just different spellings of the same thing. 

Pagri is the modern spelling, while puggaree is more 19th century, the "ee" being typical spelling for this period.

Additionally you will see  variations such as  pugri,  pagree, pagg, pagh, pagari

The word originally refered to the cloth for a turban. The Hindi/Punjabi word is pagri and the Pashtu language word is lungi.

In Army terminology, the term lungi was usually used for the cloth a  turban was constructed from, and a pagri usually referred to the cloth which was wound around a sun helmet. However, in some contents the words  lungi and pagri have the same meaning.

Cheers

Maureen

Dear all,

thank you all with your replies, info and pics.

Now I know.

Best regards,

Kendo

..............  and you'll also see the variation "pugrie" used in the Soldiers' and Sailors' Guide to Hindustani …… in the At the Tailors section ……. just below that useful phrase "Re-cover this topee for me"

Hindustani0002.jpg

Hi,

Thank you for that, seems like there is a few variations.

Best regards

Kendo