Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Evidence of mass graves in the Benay area in France?

Chris_Baker

I invite you to first read my article "Where are the 14th Division’s “Kaiserschlacht” dead?" at https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/where-are-the-14th-divisions-kaiserschlacht-dead/

I believe that there is a minimum of 195 men, commemorated at the Pozières Memorial, who remain unaccounted for and who may still lie in the area covered by the division's operations on 21 March 1918.

My journey with this topic started a few years ago when I found reference to a British officer being buried (by the Germans) in a mass grave. He is one of the missing. The article starts with his story.

I continue work on this from time to time.

Has anyone ever come across references to German burials in this area (particularly in the vicinity of Benay), or mass graves being found when the allies returned later in the year? I would be particularly interested in French or German references; any maps which indicate graves; any aerial photographs that may show burial grounds? And has anyone ever seen a photograph of the German cemetery at Urvillers?.

This might be of interest to you, Chris. 

There’s a series of post here on a mass grave found at Ecoust St Mein. One of the posts is a photo of the grave showing British POWs stripping the dead. I was researching a battalion of the North Staffordshire Regiment when I came across several pages on the ICRC site of the men killed around the area on or about 21 March 1918. 

Richard

Good article on LLT Chris

Great research!!!

Thanks for this!!

M.