Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE chemical units

lionboxer

Trying to find RE chemical units and the "chemical corporals" as I believe they were called. Apparently young chemists were recruited to combat German chemical warfare and were all made Corporals to this end.

Lionboxer

The Royal Engineers Special Brigade. The first four company's 186 -189 were formed between June and August 1915. All were given the rank of Cpl on enlistment, although this stopped in January 1916 when the Special Company's were expanded into a brigade. Although it is true that the initial recuiting drive was aimed at those men with experience in chemistry, it was quickly realised that this was not neccessary. Many of the subsequent enlistments were drawn from the infantry, and in 1916, about a thousand artillerymen were transferred to the brigade.

If you are interested, I am in a postion to be able to confirm whether individual RE's were SB men, although I would need a number and rank along with the name. This includes the original "Corporals All".

Terry Reeves

Thank you everyone.

The man I've been asked to help research is 106409 Cpl.Henry Phillips RE. His elderly Niece would like to know more of his service during the war. He survived and went on to become a distinguished chemist in later life. Anything further would be appreciated.

Lionboxer

Lionboxer

Cpl Phillips was one of the original members of the Special Company's. He enlisted directly, and had no previous service unlike some of the men, who were recruited from New Army battalions. His first taste of active service would have almost certainly been at Loos in September 1915. He would have received some very basic induction at Chatham, before sent with a batch of other men to the Special Companies HQ at Helfaut, near St Omer.This was located in the Marie and the adjoining school, both of which still stand. Surrounding villages were used to billett the maen.

Other than that , you will need to see if his service record survives at The National Archive. There is an outside chance that he may have contributed to the Special Brigade Newsletter which was published post-WW2 by old comrades. Copies are held at the RE Corps Library at Chatham. I'll have dig around the rest of my material, and see if his name crops up.

Terry Reeves