Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polish, Austro-Hungarian, Russian....?

Melnyk

55 minutes ago, Melnyk said:

Incredible! 

It makes sense that the church would write in Latin.  Would they translate everything including proper names into the Latin version?

Thank you!  A million times, thank you!

Just minutes ago I was able to make contact with the family through Skype.  We will be meeting this coming Saturday.

Hello,

Indeed, first names were then translated into Latin.

Jan

18 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

first names were then translated into Latin

AS a non-Catholic I cannot be absolutely certain, but I think that today the same applies with Catholic Births and Marriages being recorded in Latin. Even my Compostella, which I got for doing the Camino de Santiago, is inscribed by the church in Latin for my name

As per Wikipedia: variants of the given name George in different countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_(given_name)

Latin Europe: Georgius

Slavic

East

Belarusian: Юры (Jury or Yury), Юрка (Jurka or Yurka)

Russian: Георгий (Georgy), Юрий (Yury/Yuri), Егор (Yegor/Egor)

Ukrainian: Юрій (Yury/Yuri), Георгій (Heorhiy), Єгор (Yehor)

Georgius Hoszowski = Yurko Goshovskiy ?

Edited by JWK

2 hours ago, JWK said:

Georgius Hoszowski = Yurko Goshovskiy

That looks very likely JWK. I think the Russian hard G is quite often used to transliterate a hard H sound. 

11 hours ago, JWK said:

Shows how difficult it is to research, with many variables not covered by just a wild card in searches

On thing that does exist here, on the USA arrival form, is the mother's (the woman who went to USA) nearest relative (her mother and that woman's full name and address)

There are 5 hits for the name Hoszowski in the Ranglisten - not our chap though. But it does provide pre-war service records too.

https://library.hungaricana.hu/en/view/RanglistenHeeres_1918/?pg=916&layout=s&query=hoszowski

Example for Filaret Hoszowski below. As a coincidence Filaret was a Rittmeister - something to do with horses too.

Hoszowski.jpg.e0d56af8c9bea44d364b743e079ec34e.jpg

Edited by Martin Feledziak

13 hours ago, JWK said:

Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, German and Latin as well as the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets.  I think it is safe to say that this type of research is the 3D chess of genealogy.  Fortunately I found a place where the masters hang out. 

Your great-grandmother arrived on Ellis Island on the 4th May 1914 on board the SS "Vaderland" of the Belgian Red Star Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Vaderland_(1900)

And there's a museum in Antwerp dedicated to the Red Star Line!  https://www.redstarline.be/en

The SS "Vaderland" sailed from Antwerp on 18th april:

1713602999_vaderlandClipboard-3.jpg.8d9bc9db2bacbfe9d4a7d9fc794cc0d0.jpg

I don't know if you noticed it, but she appears to have travelled on the ship with a Stefan Booys (or Borys). He is on the line below her entry, comes from the same village, and gives the same intended address in USA

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

comes from the same village

Good Spot,

"Queen to Kings Bishop 2" so to speak.

8 hours ago, Melnyk said:

3D chess

I always see it as trying to complete a huge jig-saw where hundreds of  pieces have been lost or never existed. BUT where many thousands of random wrong pieces have been included in the box which has no picture on the front. 

21 hours ago, JWK said:

Your great-grandmother arrived on Ellis Island on the 4th May 1914 on board the SS "Vaderland" of the Belgian Red Star Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Vaderland_(1900)

And there's a museum in Antwerp dedicated to the Red Star Line!  https://www.redstarline.be/en

Thank you! 

18 hours ago, JWK said:

From 2017: Huge genealogical database of Ukrainians born in 1650–1920 opens online

http://euromaidanpress.com/2017/06/24/huge-genealogical-database-of-ukrainians-born-in-1650-1920-opens-online/

And look who founded it:  well, Igor Hoszowski ofcourse.......

Today I went in to pick up the records.  There was a guy looking through an ancient book and using a high quality DSL to take photos.  He looked exactly like Igor in the story.  I opened the story on my phone approached him and asked if he was Igor.  He said he wasn't, though I am skeptical.  Anyhow, great find.  It seems like they are doing an indexing program similar to those done by the Mormons at familysearch.org. 

On 01/07/2019 at 03:09, Andrew Upton said:

He appears to be in Polish military uniform, the wavy lace on the collar is a distinction still in use today:

On 01/07/2019 at 03:15, Martin Feledziak said:

looks good. here is one of mine from Krakow last year.

I was finally able to contact family members here in Ukraine who know the family history.  One of them saw my post on instagram and responded.  You were correct.  It is a Polish cavalry uniform.  We will be meeting on Saturday.  I will certainly ask for more details. 

Edited by Melnyk

I wonder what has happened now ?

Excellent that you have discovered your history and extra living family.

That is fantastic.

Also those videos are a great idea. They also become very precious as the years go by.

Alyona is such a great find for you.

So now we know that the man on the horse was

Hunkevich Yllio Ivanovich (Хункевич Ылко Иванович) who went by the name Ilko. 

And taken much later than 1914. So what did become of him ?

Edited by Martin Feledziak

On 11/07/2019 at 03:03, Martin Feledziak said:

So now we know that the man on the horse was

Hunkevich Yllio Ivanovich (Хункевич Ылко Иванович) who went by the name Ilko. 

Thank you.  The video was my wife's idea.  Fortunately I married someone much smarter than me. 

Yes, that is the big question and the real reason Oksana pushed her grandchildren to reconnect with family from America.  He disappeared after the war.  She is convinced that he emigrated to America and was helped by my Great-grandmother.  I have a cousin who remains very active in the Ukrainian church in Philadelphia and he will be searching the records to see if there was anyone by that name as a member of the church.  We shall see. 

As for us, we made it to Odessa.  A beautiful train ride across the country and an absolutely spectacular city. 

The Polish uniform seems to have been right after all then! Beautiful picture of Ilko on horseback. Perfect poise.

How did that photo come into your/the family´s possession? Was it sent over from Poland/Ukraine/Russia, or was it hand-delivered?

Anyway, a true journey of discovery.

You meet people who are family, and you didn't even know they existed until recently.

You hear things you like, you hear things you don't like.
But you come away with a much better understanding of your family.

Wish you'd made this into a documentary. Blows away all that "Who do you think you are?" cr*p that poisons TV (in the US, the UK, the Netherlands etc) these days.

Hope you find what happened to Ilko!

And, in the meantime, enjoy your trip!

Edited by JWK

7 hours ago, Melnyk said:

A fascinating take, and remarkable that you have been able to trace most of it.

As you say more details to tie down, but at least you have established the main thread, and the name of the characters involved

As genealogy is written by those who survived, then it is difficult to get exact stories, as people always put a spin on their contribution. But you have enough facts to cross-check, even finding out that it was her cousin that went to USA on the immigrant ship. And most of it does seem to cross-check

Well done :-)