Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John McGargle, 8th Batt Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Service N° 24110 - Two Dates of Death

George Millar

The CWGC used to be very good at checking their records first for transcription errors if you ask before it gets to the point of providing evidence (unless they've changed their procedures over the last couple of years).

Craig

Hello all

I've ordered the Death certificate from the GRO (hopefully! as the person I spoke to didn't seem sure what was wanted).  It won't arrive for quite a few days so I'll confirm his date of death when I get it.  Then I'll submit the details to the CWGC.

George 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for all those who commented on the situation regarding the date of death of Pte John McGargle.  I have obtained the death certificate for this soldier and his date of death is listed as the 29th April 1916 and not as shown on the CWGC website. I have forwarded all the relevant information to the CWGC for their comments. certificate as below.

1553888666_JohnMcGargle-DeathCertificate.jpg.5df23ae23501a9f8716736eb2c1f5425.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not long ago I submitted a request to the CWGC that a descendant of mine have his records amended to include his age at death (19) on the CWGC database & also engraved on his headstone (at Villers-Bretonneux).  Within a week the CWGC database was amended to include age at death & a spelling correction of the town he was from. 

I also received an email with the response that the headstone will be engraved to include age at death, which had been placed on a ‘to do’ list. CWGC also stated that when the headstone is engraved they will send me a photo of the grave with age added. 

I did have to provide a birth certificate though 😄

Quick & hassle free with appropriate evidence.

Hi Becstar,

I sent the documentation of the above soldier to CWGC on the 19th July and put a read receipt on the mail but it still hasn't been read.  This is the second one that I've sent with  with reference to another soldier but haven't had any reply to either of my mails or that they have been read.  Do CWGC sent an acknowledgement when you send them items for correction?  Should I send the details again?

George

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

The CWGC has now agreed and approved the correct date of death for Pte John McGargle, 8th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Service N° 24110 as being the 29th April 1916.  Although I never asked of anything more, they have added the following note to his details on the CWGC site:

The commemoration for this casualty has recently been transferred to this Memorial. However, it will not be possible to add his name to the Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

It seems that his name will be removed from the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial and added to the Loos Memorial sometime in the future.

Many thanks to all the forum members who took the time to send in their comments (see also my Topic: CWGC).

George