Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS BLUE SKY

kin47

Hello

HMS BLUE SKY was lost just outside of this period on 13 Jun 22, but I am interesting in finding any information on her. I am also interested in a casualty list if one exists.

Thank you.

don

Don,

HMS Blue Sky, Admiralty Drifter, Admiralty No 3867, launched 19th June 1918, armed with 1 x 6 pounder, used as a Minesweeper, foundered off Thames estuary 12th March 1922.

Aye

Malcolm

• 3 years later...
Hello

HMS BLUE SKY was lost just outside of this period on 13 Jun 22, but I am interesting in finding any information on her. I am also interested in a casualty list if one exists.

Thank you.

don

Monday, 12 June 1922

Blue Sky, Admiralty drifter, tender to battleship Queen Elizabeth, foundered off Thames Estuary, lost (deaths recorded on the 13th

BREWER, William E, Telegraphist, J 41903, died

CATOR, Richard B, Midshipman, died

DOWNS, George, Stoker 1c, SS 125714, died

DUNDAS, David, Midshipman, died

GAGE, Walter, Leading Stoker, K 10712, died

GILCREST, John, Stoker 1c, K 58766, died

GREGSON, John R, Assistant Mechanician, K 31502, died

HARROLD, Arthur S C, Able Seaman, J 65203, died

JENNINGS, Francis C H, Lieutenant, died

KIRK, Henry, Able Seaman, J 16149, died

LEECH, William D, Able Seaman, J 5899, died

NICHOLAS, Adolphus C J, Able Seaman, J 33795, died

SMITH, William, Stoker 1c, SS 125760, died

STEVENS, Frank R, Signalman, J 88422, died

WALKER, Robert H, Leading Seaman, 238522, died

• 2 months later...

I lost my grandfather William Duke Leech on the Blue Sky and have been trying to find out information, he was the one crew member whose body was washed up on shore.

I would like to say how grateful I am to all those who have put information on this particular subject because as my mother was only a tiny baby at the time and nan never talked about grandad it is wonderful to gain this information, I obviously missed out on having a grandad but this information makes me feel nearer to him.

Over a period I have been able to get hold of his service history and through your information have seen the newspaper reports and have now requested the coroner's report. Thank you so much.

With regard to David Dundas information on him appears on thepeerage.com person page 1599, my mother says my nan had received a letter from a somebody who had lost their son in the same incident who Nan described 'as well to do' although we do not know what happened to the letter I think it may have been his parents.

Any further pointers to any other information would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

One of the men remembered on my village War Memorial was lost on the 'Blue Sky'.

I have read local newspaper reports, the Times articles, and transcripts of questions asked in the House, and am curious as to the cause of the disaster.

I wonder whether anyone has read the Court of Enquiry papers, or do I need to resort to the NA?

Andy

My grandfather was William Duke Leech and his body was washed up ashore after the ship was hit by the mine. I have recently had photographs of his funeral given to me by an Uncle.

I have managed to get his naval records plus some of the ministry's telegrams but there appears to be a huge amount of paperwork at the Archives which so far I have not got hold of.

Obviously would love to hear from anyone else who had relatives on board.

My grandfather was William Duke Leech and his body was washed up ashore after the ship was hit by the mine.

Ah...I was unaware that the 'Blue Sky' was hit by a mine. I have asked NA for an estimate for the Inquest documents and will take it from there.

Was your grandfather the one washed up who was mentioned in the Times? 'The body is that of a powerfully built man and obviously a sailor.'

I have searched for some official record of my man's death, registers etc, with no success. Where would such details be recorded?

Andy

• 1 year later...

QUOTE My grandfather was William Duke Leech and his body was washed up ashore after the ship was hit by the mine.

Ah...I was unaware that the 'Blue Sky' was hit by a mine. I have asked NA for an estimate for the Inquest documents and will take it from there.

Was your grandfather the one washed up who was mentioned in the Times? 'The body is that of a powerfully built man and obviously a sailor.'

Yes my grandfather was the sailor who was washed up on shore, I have recently got hold of his death certificate had problems finding it as I know his funeral took place in Chingford his home town but eventually found his death certificate registered in Thanet, Kent. it shows under when or where died = body found on twentieth June 1922 on sands Birchington,

william duke leech,

male 25 years

Petty Officer

hm drifter blue sky,

drowning by his vessel sinking at sea but no evidence to show by what means,

certificate received from Sydenham Payen Coroner for Dover and Liberties Inquest held on 4th July 1922.

Still not sure if it was hit by a mine but this was what I was told by my mother

one curious fact is that according to his naval paperwork he was an able seaman he was actually part of the Elizabeth's crew and was then put on board the hms Blue Sky to supplement their crew so may be he was made up to an acting petty officer.

Ironic that fate had these sailors off their own ship on to this one which then floundered.

• 3 months later...

I have just received the the paperwork from the Archives giving details of the enquiry into the loss of HM BLUE SKY and am working my way through a huge amount of information and will later on add more details which I feel may be of interest to anyone who was interested in what happened to the ship. When I first started my journey trawling through the internet I thought I would never find out any information and I would like to thank you all for the information you provided to help me on this journey. I never had the pleasure of meeting my grandad nor did my mother have the chance of knowing her father so it has become a very important item in my life to find out all I could about him.

I will add details from this enquiry as soon as I have managed to work my way through it and to make sure what I add is accurate.

• 6 years later...

I have carried on researching the loss of HM Blue Sky and the loss of my grandfather and the other sailors.  From what I have found there was never a total answer to it's loss.  The enquiry indicated they did not think that it hit a mine, caught fire because there was no charring on the driftwood that came from the drifter.  Their suspicion was that it was a very rough sea and they could have hit a sand bar or a member of the fishing fleet's ships hit it.  Whatever happened happened very quickly.

Then I finally hit on an amazing find and that was a postcard which was up for sale of E-Bay, needless to say I purchased it and it proved quite interesting.  The postcard in question had a photograph of the Blue Sky and you can make out a few sailors on deck (now wondering if one of those might have actually been my grandfather) it's too far away to identify but it's a great thought.

image.png.c55565e9e67c9f2d4f25f0f8cc85d2b4.png

image.png.414589f2081b855974759e0413240e72.png

I hope you find this postcard of interest.   The ironic thing is he was a member of the H.M.S Queen Elizabeth and was seconded alongside the other sailors had they stayed aboard they may well have lived.  Thank you so much for all your imput

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Geraldine said:

I have carried on researching the loss of HM Blue Sky and the loss of my grandfather and the other sailors.  From what I have found there was never a total answer to it's loss.  The enquiry indicated they did not think that it hit a mine, caught fire because there was no charring on the driftwood that came from the drifter.  Their suspicion was that it was a very rough sea and they could have hit a sand bar or a member of the fishing fleet's ships hit it.  Whatever happened happened very quickly.

Then I finally hit on an amazing find and that was a postcard which was up for sale of E-Bay, needless to say I purchased it and it proved quite interesting.  The postcard in question had a photograph of the Blue Sky and you can make out a few sailors on deck (now wondering if one of those might have actually been my grandfather) it's too far away to identify but it's a great thought.

image.png.c55565e9e67c9f2d4f25f0f8cc85d2b4.png

image.png.414589f2081b855974759e0413240e72.png

I hope you find this postcard of interest.   The ironic thing is he was a member of the H.M.S Queen Elizabeth and was seconded alongside the other sailors had they stayed aboard they may well have lived.  Thank you so much for all your imput

Nice to see.

I'm still searching for a photo of the Grimsby trawler Cheshire which struck a mine in 1915 and was lost with all but one of the hands.

Your success gives me hope to keep looking!

David

• 3 years later...

As we reach 2022 I realise that the loss of HM Blue Sky will be 100 years this June,

I have been in touch with the Kent Archives and they are interested in a word document I am creating in honour of all the crew so they no longer appear just Naval crew numbers but actually as people. 

Whilst working on this I discovered "My Memories" by Ancestry and I have placed a Memory for HM Drifter Blue Sky's crew if any one is interested or may be want to create a memory for  someone they know on the website it is easy to use but this is the link that will take you to the area where HM Blue Sky's memory is

https://www.weremember.com/hm-drifter-blue-sky/5c4r/memories?utm_campaign=memorial_share

I would like to thank you all for the information that you produced which has been a god send in helping me with my research.