Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1888 differences of construction

Nutting

The Mk.I, type II, Pattern 1888 bayonet has the second rivet (nearer the pommel) relatively close to the first rivet because it has to avoid the hole drilled in the tang to accommodate the clearing rod. On my Mk.I, type II, the first rivet is 11mm from the crosspiece, and the two rivets are spaced 26mm centre-to-centre.

The second rivet of the Mk.II Pattern 1888 bayonet could be closer to the pommel because of the absence of the longitudinal hole in the tang.  However, on both my Mk.IIs, whilst the first rivet is 11mm from the crosspiece, on one there is 26mm between the rivets, and on the other there is 38mm.  Both are from Wilkinson.

Does anyone else have examples such differences?

Nigel

56540222-D49E-4464-8E2F-5ED14BB07CA8.jpeg

Edited by Nutting

Hello Nigel,

on all my Mkll’s they are 38mm centres between the rivets. 

I would assume the middle bayonet has had its pommel and grips changed at some point in its long life, such a shame we can’t easily remove the grips on the old timers to check these things.

the only oddity I have is a greener commercial variant that has both clearing holes, that has 26mm centres.

Dave.

13 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Hello Nigel,

on all my Mkll’s they are 38mm centres between the rivets. 

I would assume the middle bayonet has had its pommel and grips changed at some point in its long life, such a shame we can’t easily remove the grips on the old timers to check these things.

the only oddity I have is a greener commercial variant that has both clearing holes, that has 26mm centres.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I wonder how many people have just gone to fetch a tape measure!  Your comment about a change of grips raises other questions: if the grips were replaced on a Mk.I, reusing the existing holes in the tang, the hole for the clearing rod would be there (but it isn’t).  At what stage was the hole drilled, prior to the grip scales being fitted, or after?

Nigel

You’ve brought up some interesting points, and I can only assume the holes in the grips were added at a later date. I did see fairly recently an 1888 without any clearance hole anywhere and very odd rivets!!

Given their usage in both the the boer and Great War, and their colonial use for decades these oddities pop up from time to time...always more questions than answers for the inquisitive though.

Dave.

Dave,

Yes, I’m about to order a commercial Pattern ‘88 which is devoid of stamping and lacks a clearance hole.

N.

Interesting - and I'll try to see tomorrow if the official specs say anything