Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt G A F Layton No 7 Sqn 1915

Dolphin

2Lt (later Lt) G A F Layton was an observer in No 7 Sqn in 1915, often flying with Capt Gerald Mills.  He seems to have transferred to the RFC from the Indian Army Supply Column, and went to the RFC in Canada in mid-1917 where he presumably survived the War.

I haven't been able to discover his given names, and I'll be grateful if anyone can inform me.

Gareth

His full name was George Arthur Frederick Layton formerly Pte. M1/09031 Army Service Corps. The British War Medal and Victory Medal Roll gives his full name as stated and confirms, in the remarks column, "Commission in R. F. Corps."

A medal index card exists for him but the name is given thereon only as G. A. F. Layton.

Both items are on ancestry.co.uk and presumably also ancestry.com

Edit to add: The gazette for his commissioning unfortunately only gave his initials  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29261/supplement/8004

Edited by HarryBrook

Thank you very much. Like other documents, his RFC Casualty Card, has only his intitals.

Gareth

• 3 years later...

I have a reference to Lt Layton as a pilot instructing at Brooklands (I think) in March 2017, is this perhaps the same person? Looks like it was 26 Reserve Squadron RFC

Will

Thank you for the infomation.  He had a long career if he was instructing in 2017, so I presume it's a typo for 1917 (easy to do!).

I'm now trying to recall just what it was that prompted me to ask the question.

Cheers

Gareth