Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Unarig

Sinking of Sailing Ketch "Mary Fanny"

Unarig

The sailing ketch "Mary Fanny" of Bideford was sunk by shellfire by the German U-boat UB-64 on 15th September 1918 with the loss of her crew of five - three crew members and two RNR gunners who manned the gun/guns fitted to her as part of the Defensively Armed Merchant Shipping (DAMS) initiative.  I recently purchased a 1916 painting of this vessel by the Pierhead Painter Reuben Chappell (see attached) and I am currently researching her history from her launch in 1862 in Amlwch, Anglesey to her loss in the Irish Sea in 1918.  The UB-64 Kriegstagebuch (KTB) entry for this engagement incorrectly records that the "Mary Fanny" was a Topsail Schooner, whereas at the time of the engagement she was rigged as a Ketch and the KTB entry also reports that she had two guns installed; one aft and one between the main & mizzen masts and exchanged fire with the U-boat until she was sunk.  Can anyone give me some direction as to where I could find details of the gun/guns fitted to the "Mary Fanny" and where/when this installation may have taken place?

IMG_0559.JPG

seaJane
Posted (edited)

This document in The National Archives (TNA), Kew, may hold something relevant, but I wouldn't like to say for certain:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4113168 .

I haven't been able to find anything in TNA on the ship herself. She doesn't appear in the January 1918 Navy List on the "List of Merchant Vessels commissioned as H.M. Ships, and auxiliary craft. (Corrected up to 18th December, 1917)." But that may not have been the right place for me to look.

If you want to investigate the Navy Lists yourself, they are searchable online at the National Library of Scotland, https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/93506066 - normally also on archive.org, but that is down today.

Edited by seaJane

DavidOwen

I can't answer your specific question but she was owned by Harriet Galsworthy of Bidesford being managed by Arthur Galsworthy.