Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Herbert 26769 21 Manchester Regiment

Ian C

Hi

I'm trying to find info for a lady on her grandfather, but can find no trace of him, can anyone with a couple of minutes to spare see if I am missing anything??

Regards

IanC 

There is a pension record for Serjeant 26769 Joseph Herbert,  Manchester Regiment

which can be accessed either through the Western Front (if a member ) or fold 3 on Ancestry

very little details shown on the document 

looks like he survived the war

No Mic or medal entry  found 

Home service only ?

Hello,

. The 21sts were also known as the 6th Manchester Pals. Quite possible he was an original based on his service  number but can’t check til I get home. The Manchester Book of Honour contains roughly 11,000 names of original Pals with platoon photos, if your contact could recognise him he may be on one of the photos.

Have you searched Ancestry for either his service record or medal index roll/ card.

Take a look at the Long Long Trail for loads of information on researching both individuals and their regts.

There is also the Manchester Regt forum.

Simon.

Ray beat me to it on some bits. Good look with your search

If he was an original Pal who served abroad it’s possible he would have been in the Fricourt/Mametz area for the start of the Somme in 1916, in the Bullecourt area in April/May 1917 during the battle of Arras and also in the Polygon Wood/Broodseinde Ridge during the 3rd Ypres (Passchendaele) also 1917.

As Ray mentions if there isn’t a MiC for him perhaps he didn’t serve overseas. Of course his card may exist but possibly mid-transcribed or even with a middle name instead of the ‘christian ‘ name he was known as to family. i.e. known to family as Bert when he was Christened Hubert etc

Simon

FWR have a transcribed record for him, He is listed in "Manchester Regiment city battalions 1914-1916". 

21st (Service) Battalion (6th City)

“E” Company, Platoon No. XX

91st Infantry Brigade

The long long trail syas

21st (Service) Battalion (6th City)
Formed in Manchester on 13 November 1914 by the Lord Mayor and City. Moved to Morecambe in January 1915.
April 1915 : moved to Grantham and placed under command of 91st Brigade in 30th Division. Moved to Larkhill in September 1915.
Early November 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
20 December 1915 : Brigade transferred to 7th Division.
November 1917 : moved with Division to Italy.
13 September 1918 : left Division and returned to France. On arrival joined 7th Brigade in 25th Division.

If he did not go abroad with them it implies he was discharged before they went overseas or moved to another unit.

Edited by Mark1959

There is a good chance he’ll be on the platoon photo then (unless he’s listed as absent on the day of the photo )

he does have a WFA as indicated above but it does not say an awful lot. gives his ranks as sergeant. Look as if applied for pension 1921

Edited by Mark1959

Hi Guys 

Thanks for all the info.

With regards to the pension card, would I be correct in assuming that the lack of detail on the card indicates that he wasn't actually awarded a pension?

Regards

IanC

He is listed as a private in platoon xx of E company on page 300 of the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour so presumably is in the photograph on page 301.  The book is available on two cds from the Manchester & Lancashire FHS and, probably, elsewhere.