Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Awards of the Albert Medal

Chris_Baker

A good contribution: I had no idea how many A Ms were awarded. A speed-read makes me wonder if the British Army ever killed any ENEMY with grenades, rather than the Home team.

makes me wonder if the British Army ever killed any ENEMY with grenades, rather than the Home team.

Oddly the enlarging of the Scope of the MSM for "Gallantry in the Performance of Military Duty" usurped the Place of the Albert Medal as a Non Combattant Gallantry Award in Grenade Throwing Accidents & the like.,I know which one I'd have preferred! ;)

Chris

That new page of information and recipients is really interesting.

I would really like to see an Albert Medal but it looks as though they were very rare indeed.

Kate

Chris

Here is an omitted name from the Albert Medal list.

This man's award was missing from CWGC's files but I got it added last year. His citation is below. His official citation can be read in LG of 01.01.18 page 143

Name: PLACE, Alfred

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: 2nd Drake Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 16/06/1916

Service No: J3080

Awards: AM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: "U." 2967.

Cemetery: LEEDS (HUNSLET OLD) CEMETERY

Citation: An extract from the London Gazette dated the 1st January 1918, records the following : "The King has been graciously pleased to award the Decoration of the Albert Medal in recognition of the gallantry of Petty Officer Alfred Place, late of the Royal Navy." The circumstances are as follows : "At Blandford, on the 16th June, 1916, during grenade practice, a live bomb thrown by one of the men under instruction fell back into the trench. Petty Officer Place rushed forward, pulled back two men who were in front of him and attempted to reach the grenade with the intention of throwing it over the parapet. Unfortunately, the bomb exploded before he could reach it and inflicted fatal injuries. By his coolness and self-sacrifice Petty Officer Place probably saved the lives of three other men.

I am pleased to say that one winner of the A.M (in Gold), Lt G de Leche is a local Leatherhead man commemorated on the Leatherhead War Memorial. He again hugged a grenade to himself to save his fellow men. A very gallant man indeed. Perhaps an A.M award like this is all the more impressive because it is not ,by definition, won in the heat of battle with the red mist before one's eyes.

Kate

Here is a pic.

Dave

Dave's pic is of the Albert Medal for Gallantry in Saving Life on Land (2nd Class).

There is another version for saving life at sea which has a blue enamelled background and with an anchor entwined in the design.

The medal has also had a variety of ribbon changes starting out as blue with two white stripes for the gold medal (changed to four white stripes after the second class bronze medal was introduced - which kept the two white stripes).

The ribbons were changed to red in 1904 and the ribbon width has also been varied at times.

Quite a complicated little medal with fourteen different variations of design/ribbon/metal (I think!).

The gold medal was abolished in 1949 and the last bronze medal was awarded in 1970 (having become a posthumous only award in 1949). In 1971 it was given equal status to the George Cross and all surviving recipients were entitled to exchange their medals for the GC. Of the 64 eligible, 49 did so.

Dave

Thanks very much for that picture.

Do you know anything about the recipient or are the medals not personally inscribed?

Terry. You haven't got a picture of the 'saving life at sea' version, have you?

Kate

• 2 months later...

My Fathers Albert Medal has his name and number on the back. it is now at the Guards Museum, Birdcage Walk. London, UK. I have a set of miniatures of his medals including the AM. qahtan

Dave

Thanks very much for that picture.

Do you know anything about the recipient or are the medals not personally inscribed?

Terry. You haven't got a picture of the 'saving life at sea' version, have you?

Kate

Interesting to read something about what was a quite mysterious medal for me.

Here is a grave of one of the recipient :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tanneguy.desplanqu...rps%20royal.htm

This medal was also added after the name of the recipient

I do not know why but the image of the medal posted before is no more available at least on my PC. Is something wrong ?

Intersting to see also some details on the reasons AEM Horn postumesly

received this medal.

Thanks and Best Regards