Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transport Michigan or Lake Michigan

Archer

An officer in the R.N.D. apparently embarked at Alexandria, bound for Mudros aboard the transport, Michigan on 26 December 1915.

But... There is some confusion here: There was a vessel, the Michigan (4 935 grt, built in 1887), proceeding to Mudros in December 1915, to be sunk as a blockship. She was recorded there on the morning of 27 December [ https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Europa.htm, accessed on 25 June 2019.]

There was another vessel, the Canadian Pacific steamship, Lake Michigan (8 200 tons, built in 1901), currently serving as a troopship. I haven’t yet found a reference to Lake Michigan at Mudros in December 1915, but the voyage from Alexandria to Mudros was two days’ sailing, so assuming our officer embarked on 26 December, he probably reached the island of Lemnos on 28 or 29 December.

Can anyone shine a light on this?

:cheers:

William 

xxx.jpg

William

According to the Mudros Transport Officer's Log, the LAKE MICHIGAN arrived from Alexandria on Thursday 30 Dec 1915 "with various details" and left on the 4 January 1916 for Alexandria.

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Thanks Tony!! That's fantastic. It's just the evidence I was looking for.

Real life is seldom as neat as fiction. The officer contracted severe food poisoning. He had barely arrived in Mudros when he was put back on an unknown ship and rushed back to Alexandria

:cheers:

William

xxx.jpg

William

There were several transports sailing for Alexandria after the 12th January but the first hospital ship was the SEEANG CHOON which sailed for Alex on 16th Jan 1916, the DUNVEGAN CASTLE and the ESSQUIBO on the 17th, and the SOMALI on the 19th January, all hospital ships.

Tony

Gotcha, but it seems he went into hospital in Alex on 3 January.

He must have got off Lake Michigan and embarked almost immediately - perhaps on a naval vessel?

Belay that!

He may have embarked on 3 January 1916 ... difficult to say

xxx2.jpg

The SALTA and ASTURIAS left Mudros for Alex on Saturday 8th January 1916, both hospital ships, no others fit your time frame, but that is assuming he travelled on a hospital ship, which is highly likely as ptomaine food poisoning is very serious

Tony

Grrr. These old record cards are so frustrating!

Thanks, Tony. Much appreciated

Sorry missed one hospital ship sailing, GRANTULLY CASTLE left Mudros for Alex on 1st Jan 1916, but that is all the HS sailings around that time, that could have got him back to Alex by the 3rd Jan, just!  

Tony

Ahhh. That fits in with the original timeline that I had sketched out at home earlier this evening. Arrives feeling sick, reports sick on 31 January. Sails 1 January. Now we need the Alexandria Transport Officer’s Log :lol::lol::lol:

Well they exist at the TNA at Kew in the MT 23 section, but not available to download online and I do not have them I'm afraid. 

Tony

Thanks Tony. I will have to "make a plan"

• 2 weeks later...

Ref post 4 spelling of names: the ships were the Seang Choon and the Essequibo, in case you are trying to look up additional information. 

Mike