Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Postcard Translation and Information

Tomb1302

Hello everyone,

I just recently obtained this very good condition postcard *The lighting is my poor photography*, but I haven't been able to deduce much from it seeing as I'm only fluent in French and English. My good friend @Jools mckenna has helped me greatly, but, neither of us speak German, and thus, we weren't able to deduce much from it.

The only notable thing I'd deduced was the '106' marked on the man's Pickelhaube in the center, but the rest I -with my understanding of the German army- wasn't able to make out.

I've disclosed the front of the postcard and both a simple and scanned (respectively) photo of the back.

Thank you!

0.jpg

0-1.jpg

0-2.jpg

Edited by Tomb1302

Cool signature!

I *think*  it says something like "Dear [Emma?] I'll arrive on saturday at 11 o'clock. Greetings from [Hans?]", but happy to be corrected.

5 minutes ago, JWK said:

Cool signature!

I *think*  it says something like "Dear [Emma?] I'll arrive on saturday at 11 o'clock. Greetings from [Hans?]", but happy to be corrected.

Thank you @JWK!

I was told it is a pre-war postcard [1912], and, I suppose the notion that a -presumably- male in the picture had the flexibility to go meet someone would only enforce that this wasn't a photograph taken during the heat of the war?

Edited by Tomb1302

It was sent from Zeithain Übungsplatz https://www.militärhistorik-zeithain.de/historie/zeithain-im-20-jahrhundert.html  ), some 40 kms from Leipzig as the crow flies, on 14th(?) August 1912 (14th was a wednesday) to Leipzig-Eutrisch (Now Leipzig-Eutritzsch), Hamburgerstrasse 47 IIb (2nd floor, flat B. original building still exists I think)

7 minutes ago, JWK said:

It was sent from Zeithain Übungsplatz https://www.militärhistorik-zeithain.de/historie/zeithain-im-20-jahrhundert.html  ), some 40 kms from Leipzig as the crow flies, on 14th(?) August 1912 (14th was a wednesday) to Leipzig-Eutrisch (Now Leipzig-Eutritzsch), Hamburgerstrasse 47 IIb (2nd floor, flat B. original building still exists I think)

Again @JWK, thank you for the insight.

Taking a look at the military perspective, would it be safe to assume that the '106' pictured there would be a regimental number of a regiment that would then have served in the war?

Yes, that is the regiment number.

Just now, Jools mckenna said:

Yes, that is the regiment number.

I'm aware it's the regiment number, but does this allow me to deduce or infer anything projected two years forward to the beginning of the war, or, as I'd asked you before, do I need to consider this a 'pre-WWI era' military photograph?

Yes, the regiment (both the regulars and reservists) was mobilised during WW1. So it is probable most of those in the photo fought in WW1. 

Edited by Jools mckenna

3 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Yes, the regiment (both the regulars and reservists) was mobilised during WW1. So it is probable most of those in the photo fought in WW1. 

Thank you for both the information and the links Jools - As usual, you are great help!

Note the cuffs, a Saxon speciality. They were called "German cuffs" and had two buttons on top of each other. A good way to discern Saxon infantery troops as they were the only units in Germany to wear them. Find attached two soldiers from the Saxons 104th and 105th IR, the latter an officer.

GreyC

608631459_x104_IRKopiekl.jpg.7b1bf4cf4ed42b9c48adcabc062e7fb4.jpg259463374_x105_IR_Sachsen_Helmuberzug_Offizierer_klFeldgrau_Bunt_Bitsch.jpeg.887151f91197e9c2afdfd86ed777449f.jpeg

3 hours ago, GreyC said:

Note the cuffs, a Saxon speciality. They were called "German cuffs" and had two buttons on top of each other. A good way to discern Saxon infantery troops as they were the only units in Germany to wear them. Find attached two soldiers from the Saxons 104th and 105th IR, the latter an officer.

GreyC

608631459_x104_IRKopiekl.jpg.7b1bf4cf4ed42b9c48adcabc062e7fb4.jpg259463374_x105_IR_Sachsen_Helmuberzug_Offizierer_klFeldgrau_Bunt_Bitsch.jpeg.887151f91197e9c2afdfd86ed777449f.jpeg

Thank you @GreyC!

Going over what Jools had told me personally, I can see once again [He referred to the same aspect of uniform] that the cuffs essentially define them as 'Saxons'.

Thank you for the insight!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photos - always a pleasure to see the officer's brocade belt which soon disappeared in wartime.

I should point out that the Saxon (or 'German', as it was officially termed) cuff was worn by the following units of the Royal Saxon Army:

• All infantry, Jager and Schützen units except for the active and reserve Grenadier regiments (who wore Swedish cuffs with Litzen)
  • NCOs and ORs of all Pionier units (officers wore Swedish cuffs with Litzen)
  • All Fussartillerie (heavy / siege artillery) units

Conversely there were no Saxon units which officially wore the common 'Brandenburg' cuff (worn by the infantry and Fussartillerie of the other German armies). It is occasionally seen in photos of Saxon troops as a result of uniform issue outside the Saxon supply chain (e.g. in a non-Saxon hospital). Even more rarely one sees anomalies like this - what appears to be a Prussian tunic with 'Brandenburg' cuffs converted to the Saxon pattern.

RIR244_preussWaffenrockumge.jpg.95216d0dede53dd39d7233e1d6bcec25.jpg

Edited by bierast