Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyneside Irish 43161 J Bruce & 41003 T Middlemiss

jonbem

Northumberland Fusiliers Tyneside Irish 43161 J Bruce & 41003 T Middlemiss

These two lie either side of my Great uncle Fred (50236 Pte Ward) at Orchard Dump, Arleux en Gohelle.

All fell 9th April 1917

I hoped to try and track them a little.

CWGC isn't playing ball with the Grave registration, concentration  and headstone detail images.

I can't find MIC's or Rolls for either on Ancestry using a variety of searches with just number or surname.

Any links or info would be helpful.

regards

Jon

IMG_20160617_104618887-fred headstone and comrades.jpg

On the National Archive Discovery Catalogue the MiC for 41003 Northumberland Fusiliers is shown as Andrew Middlemiss. He was ex 11104 West Riding Regiment.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4037711

The remarks column simply shows him as "KinA". He qualified for the 1915 Star, having first landed in Belgium on the 18th July 1915.

Soldiers died in the Great War also has him as Andrew but surname shown as "Middlesmiss".

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thanks for that Pete

I'll see what I can get from that

Jon

T Middlemiss 41003,

there is a register of soldiers effects for an Andrew Middlemiss here, same number, Northumberland fusiliers with the same date of death...must be him so needs further investigation https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=mFm17&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&_phtarg=mFm13&dbid=60506&gsln=Middlemiss&gsfn_x=NP&gsln_x=NN&cp=11&new=1&rank=1&uidh=l37&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=1&h=307014&recoff=&ml_rpos=2

Best of luck,

Dave.

Edit, ties in with Peters.

Edited by Dave66

Got him on Ancestry now

War Gratuity for J Bruce £3.00 = less than 12mnths service, sole legate mother Mary. For Middlemiss £12.00 Attested Sept 14 sole legate mother Frances

Hmmm?

Soldiers Effects has Mother Frances and also Mother in law Frances. I suppose both is possible, but why not wife mention?

Got a pension ledger ref now but it's Fold3 - bu66er!

Although gives me a full name to search.

Name:John Storey Bruce

Military Service Region:Northern, England

Death Date:9 Apr 1917

Service Number:43161

Regiment:Northa Fus

and I reckon now the 1911 census

I think that's him sorted now

Edited by jonbem

4 minutes ago, jonbem said:

and I reckon now the 1911 census

I think that's him sorted now

Amazing. in 1989 I lived 300 yards away from his 1911 address 

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Yes thanks I got it

I've built a mini family tree. I may try to contact relatives to share what I know from my great uncles service

Bradford Roll of Honour shows Andrew Middlemiss of 70 Ripon Street, (which was off Otley Road) as Kia 9 Apr '17 enlisted Aug 1914

Middlemiss of 5 King Charles Street Bfd...not far from Ripon Street... recorded on National Roll for Bradford full entry will be on Findmypast I presume

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

Middlemiss of 5 King Charles Street Bfd...not far from Ripon Street... recorded on National Roll for Bradford full entry will be on Findmypast I presume

Many thanks. Have to see what else I find on Ancestry

I'm thinking this is possibly him on 1901 census. Born Darlington abt 1882, Mother Frances, living in Bradford?

Findmypast showing 41003 Andrew Middlemass NF KIA 9.4.17 formally 11104 of 8th and 2nd Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment. The entry from Bfd Nat Roll may therefore be incorrect or even refer to someone else as 8th WRR were initially sent to Gallipoli and only arrived W. Front in July 1916

Edited by ilkley remembers

3 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Findmypast showing 41003 Andrew Middlemass NF KIA 9.4.17 formally 11104 of 8th and 2nd Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment. The entry from Bfd Nat Roll may therefore be incorrect or even refer to someone else as 8th WRR were initially sent to Gallipoli and only arrived W. Front in July 1916

MIC shows Balkans in 1915

31 minutes ago, jonbem said:

I'm sure that its your man. The Bfd Roll shows him as being 27 NF and killed on the correct date. Can't account for the entry in the National Roll but going on past experience they were notoriously inaccurate. The 8th, 9th and 10th WRR took a lot of Bfd men including the playwright J B Priestley, who reported that he only joined the WRR because of the the Bfd Pals took so long to form and he was anxious to enlist. I have come across a number of West Yorks men who were transferred into the Tyneside Irish and Scottish after they returned from recovering from wounds which may explain why Middlemass ended up in the NF.

IR

I have relatively (? no pun intended!) quickly put together a couple of family trees for the two men.

I Think J Bruce is nailed on, For Middlemiss, going with Andrew rather than "T" is a bit more of a leap of faith but seems logical.

Any comments and corrections gratefully received.

Bruce at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/161999546/family?fpid=282112560477&usePUBJs=true

Middlemiss at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/162002232/family?fpid=282112588626&usePUBJs=true

I Have also sent details of Middlemiss to CWGC to see if a correction to headstone is required.

Thanks for all pals help so far

Regards

Jon

On 22/06/2019 at 21:30, jonbem said:

I Have also sent details of Middlemiss to CWGC to see if a correction to headstone is required.

Result!

Thank you for your email below.

Having investigated this case, I can confirm that the correct forename for Private Middlemiss is indeed Andrew.

I have therefore amended our internal database to reflect the correct initial and name and these changes should replicate on our website within the next 24 hours or so. Please do feel free to check.

I have also placed a headstone amendment request into our works programme which will be assessed by one of our works teams when they are next on site. If an amendment in situ is possible this will be carried out in due course however if a replacement stone is required this will add some time to the process (anything up to 18 months).

Either way, I have requested a photograph of the completed work which can be forwarded on to you once received, if required.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind Regards

Martin Skelly
Records Administrator Headstones