Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge query

alexander

Catalogue descriptionMedal card of Farmer, Kenneth Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery Regiment No: ...

Ordering and viewing options

• £3.50

• Download size approximately 1.5 MB. Download format PDF

Reference: WO 372/7/18025
Description:
Medal card of Farmer, Kenneth
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Garrison Artillery 54322 Gunner
Royal Garrison Artillery 54322 Gunner
I have the above info regarding my grandfather, can anyone specify a regimental badge type that would specifically denote attatchment to that unit please. In addition, is it likely he was allied to that unit for the duration. many thanks

His entries on the Regimental Medal Rolls indicate that he served with 22nd Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery, landing with the battery in France on 6 October 1915. He was discharged (to Class Z reserve) on 28 February 1919.

Ken

Cap badge and shoulder title. 

image.jpeg

thank you for replies, is the photo of the badge definately the only one that is applicable to the 22nd seige battery ?

The cap badge in GFW1967's post #4 is the same for all branches of the Royal Artillery whether it's Garrison, Field or Horse, the exception is the cap badge of the Artillery element of the "Honourable Artillery Company" which is identical other than the scroll under the crown has "H A C" instead of "UBIQUE".

Sam

thank you rough diamond, do you know if each seperate  badge had a name to denote which one it was?  as in this exampeoriginal-british-army-ww1-west-riding-royal-horse-artillery-rha-cap-badge-386-p.jpg

Alexander

Your badge is likely for a Territorial Force Horse Artillery unit. If you go to the Long Long Trail (link at top of this page) click on Army, then Regiments and Corps,then Units of RHA and then scroll down to TF units you will see the districts of these units.

no, sorry, that isnt my badge, that was just as an example to signify that certain cap badges had their own name . What I want to know is if the one for my grandfathers is also like that . As he was a dundee man, I do not know exactly who he was deployed to if you can understand my confusion.

I think sotonmate is trying to point out that only TF would have had badges with names.The Regulars did not.