Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Same man?

Skipman

6 hours ago, IPT said:

There was Sgt A Morrison in the Aberfeldy Home Guard. 

Not sure, but he may have been Alexander Morrison, Stationmaster.

Indeed there was a Sergeant A Morrison in the Aberfeldy Home Guard. 

So "Mrs Stewart" is making  tea in Kenmore Street. The airman from New Zealand is there with a little girl and a young man. Also there is a Home Guard Sergeant.

Sergeant Charles Low Stewart. a Great War veteran lived a 14 Kenmore Street, he married Nellie McDiarmid on the 21st July, 1917, when he was a Cpl in the 1/6th Black Watch.

In the golf scene in the film "Mr A Morrison" is leading the round."

Is the man leading the golf, the same one that is dressed as a Home Guard sergeant at tea in Kenmore Street 3 miniutes into the film?

Mike

I originally posted the golf picture as I had assumed it was the same man, but i'll have to have another look when I get the chance.

A few articles below which appear to confirm that the stationmaster, Alexander Morrison, is the A Morrison that was a home guard sergeant. Also mention WW1 service.

20 November 1940 - Perthshire Advertiser

BRITISH LEGION BRANCH.

Mr A. Morrison, recently appointed stationmaster at Aberfeldy, who, prior to his promotion, was chief clerk at Oban L.M.S. Station, has been presented by the Oban Branch of the British Legion with handsome barometer. The presentation took place in the King’s Arms Hotel, Oban, and was made by Mr Henry Dunn, British Legion Branch chairman, who referred to Mr Morrison’s six years’ valued service as secretary to the Branch, of which he was one of the founder members. The gift bears an appropriate inscription. Appreciative reference to Mr Morrison’s work for the Branch was also made by Col. MacDougall of Dunollie, president; Captain the Rev. A. M. Ross, and Mr Wm. Reid, secretary.

29 August 1942 - Perthshire Advertiser

Aberfeldy Railway Official's New Post

Mr A. Morrison, L.M.S. station master and goods agent,  Aberfeldy, who is being transferred to Coupar Angus (as reported in Wednesday's P.A.”), joined the old '‘Highland" in 1909 at Inverness. After his 1914-18 war service was appointed booking clerk at Aberfeldy in 1922, was appointed chief clerk at Oban in 1929, returning to Aberfeldy as station master in 1939. During his sojourn in Aberfeldy Mr Morrison has been popular rail official, has interested himself in the local British Legion branch, and has held the rank of sergeant in the Home Guard. Aberfeldy Mr Morrison has been popular rail official, has interested himself in the local British Legion branch, and has held the rank of sergeant in the Home Guard.

08 October 1925 - Dundee Courier 

At the Station Hotel, Aberfeldy, yesterda!y the wedding took place of Miss Isobel Munro, daughter of Bailie and Mrs Munro, Aberfeldy, to Mr Alexander Morrison, booking clerk, L.M.S. a son of Mr and Mrs Morrison, Inverness.

AM1942.jpg.32a49b3b3004ae2dc7ed4bcaf1a544f9.jpg

Edited by IPT

On 05/07/2019 at 10:49, IPT said:

Here's the other Home Guard ear.

LS.jpg.66f155b8dd55c3d21dd79398e3a6cb96.jpg

Same man above with dark eyebrows and uniform but not the younger C L Stewart football captain who has a broken nose.  He is the same man in the paper and drawing.  This photo Could well be A younger version of A Morrison stationmaster looking older, greyer and heavier set.  Jawline and nose same. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Good find IPT. So the 1942 photograph is  A Morrison (the man golfing in the film) I think the Home Guard man is a different man, but is it Charles Low Stewart. Mrs Stewart is making the tea, why would it be for anyone other than her husband Charlie (who was a Great War veteran, and is sporting the medals). Is it enough, probably not, but close?

The film was made in 1943

Mike

Edited by Skipman

To 'tie in with the film' the following article from the Perthshire Advertiser in 1912 would suggest Charles L Stewart was a keen and decent golfer. Coincidentally beating William Dalgleish - another of the first draft of the 6th Black Watch in May, 1915. There were only two males named Charles Stewart residing in Aberfeldy at the time of the 1911 census - 'your man' and Charles King Stewart born 1906. So how likely is it that another Charles Stewart turns up in Aberfeldy, residing in Kenmore Street?

Charles L Stewart.jpg

Edit

I believe the Home Guard man having tea is the same man who is playing golf.

Edited by dhubthaigh

At last managed to get the film to play.  The man laughing at the table is the same man playing golf there is what looks like a lump on his cheek when he laughs.  Certainly not the young man in the football picture. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

On 04/01/2020 at 23:40, Alisonmallen62 said:

The man laughing at the table is the same man playing golf there is what looks like a lump on his cheek when he laughs.  Certainly not the young man in the football picture. 

Not as convinced as you yet Alison. Why would Mr Morrison be having tea at Mrs Stewart's, with what look to be grandchildren?

Mike

No idea about the reason for tea but the stars of the film appeared in several shots enjoying themselves through the village and perhaps having tea was a contrived part of the footage.  I was going on the eyebrow length as the chap who is possibly mr Morrison has a shorter length it doesn’t extend to the end of the eye whereas Mr c l Stewart extends further.   The nose shape appears different between the eyes and where there has been a break in Mr Stewart, as does ear and face shape.  I dnt have access to the wonderful computer programme in a previous job whereby you could compare faces but someone out there just might! bet they didn’t think we would all be left wondering though! 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

4 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

bet they didn’t think we would all be left wondering though! 

:P

Ha ha good post. Good thinking too. Will watch film with a keener eye. I wish they had added some credits. I dare say a full list of those who took part might emerge at some point.

Cheers Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Attached is a poor quality picture from the Perthshire Advertiser of 1938 with your man C L Stewart seated centre (note the ears). Not the same man as in the film

C L Stewart.jpg

Mike, Perthshire Advertiser from 1938. This is definitely C L Stewart about twenty-five years on from the first photo posted. Man in film is Morrison the stationmaster.

Mark

Edited by dhubthaigh

4 minutes ago, dhubthaigh said:

Mike, Perthshire Advertiser from 1938. This is definitely C L Stewart about twenty-five years on from the first photo posted. Man in film is Morrison the stationmaster.

Mark

Excellent, well done.

Mike

Edit email on way.

Edited by Skipman

Great stuff!